Green Pepper and Mushroom Pizza
with Italian house salad
We haven't included this classic Cook Smarts recipe in a meal plan since back in 2013, but we still hear from members who say it's one of their favorites. We gave it some fresh photos and new instructions, but it's still the same well-loved vegetable pizza.
Green Pepper and Mushroom Pizza:
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g)' - 1 can
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - for brushing dough
- Cheese, mozzarella - 6 oz , grated
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 3 Tbsp , grated
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
Italian House Salad:
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , cubed
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. (Resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.)
- Garlic / Green peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, crushed tomatoes, oregano, sugar, and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Brush a sheet pan with olive oil (portion for pizza).
- Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan.
- Bake dough on upper rack for 3 minutes without toppings. (This solo time in the oven gives the dough time to crisp up; if you put toppings on now, your crust may get soggy.)
- Remove dough from oven and spread with sauce.
- Top dough and sauce with mozzarella and then mushrooms and bell peppers. (You can pile the toppings on, they will shrink while cooking.)
- Return pan to oven and continue baking pizza until crust is golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Add parmesan and red pepper flakes (if using) and broil pizza for 1 to 2 more minutes before taking out of the oven. You should have melted cheese and a beautiful golden crust!
- While pizza is baking, whisk together vinegar and mustard in a large salad bowl. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Add salad greens, cucumbers, and tomatoes on top. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- Slice pizza and serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!