Green Pepper and Mushroom Pizza
with Italian house salad
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g)' - 1 can
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - for brushing dough
- Cheese, mozzarella - 6 oz, grated
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 3 Tbsp, grated
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, cubed
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. (Resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.)
- Garlic / Green peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, crushed tomatoes, oregano, sugar, and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Brush a sheet pan with olive oil (portion for pizza).
- Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan.
- Bake dough on upper rack for 3 minutes without toppings. (This solo time in the oven gives the dough time to crisp up; if you put toppings on now, your crust may get soggy.)
- Remove dough from oven and spread with sauce.
- Top dough and sauce with mozzarella and then mushrooms and bell peppers. (You can pile the toppings on, they will shrink while cooking.)
- Return pan to oven and continue baking pizza until crust is golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Add parmesan and red pepper flakes (if using) and broil pizza for 1 to 2 more minutes before taking out of the oven. You should have melted cheese and a beautiful golden crust!
- While pizza is baking, whisk together vinegar and mustard in a large salad bowl. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Add salad greens, cucumbers, and tomatoes on top. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- Slice pizza and serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Used flatbread because the store was out of pizza dough. Used some extra pizza sauce from the last CS pizza recipe (had BBQ sauce in it, I think. Which was GREAT!) I hate mushrooms, so left those off my flatbread and added tomatoes instead. Husband sprinkled red pepper flakes on his. Kids ate the non-spicy pepper and mushroom. Everyone liked it! With the flatbread and premise sauce, this was SUPER simple!0 Helpful
Needs a much longer pre-bake for the crust. Three minutes made the end result seem uncooked.0 Helpful
Great recipe for pizza sauce. I topped ours with pepperoni, red peppers, and shallots, which turned out well.0 Helpful
Of course this was delicious, it's pizza!! Salad was yummy too.0 Helpful
Solid but basic0 Helpful
Store bought dough and prebaking worked well! Did salami and onion for toppings since folks in our house aren't mushroom/pepper fans.0 Helpful