Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca with Chicken
with tortilla chips / avocados
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce (opt) - 2 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb (sub chicken thighs)
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Sour cream - for serving (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with corn and then chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Avocados / Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred or chop it. Return chicken to slow cooker. Season soup with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Crush tortilla chips and divide between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top of crushed chips (give the soup a stir to mix the tortilla chips in).
- Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, sour cream, and extra tortilla chips to be added at the table. Enjoy!
Everyone loved it. One thing I changed: I used the immersion blender and made it pretty smooth prior to adding in the lentils and corn as my family doesn't like chunky tomatoes and peppers. We will definitely make this one again!1 Helpful
I loved it. My husband didn't eat it more than once.0 Helpful
I would double the spices. I only used 3 cups of broth and that was plenty.0 Helpful
Really liked this and it made a ton of leftovers that have made good lunches during the week.0 Helpful
So delicious. One of our favorites.0 Helpful
This was excellent! Made exactly as written except used a whole small bag of corn and only 3 cups of stock. I think this may be one of my favorite CS soups.0 Helpful
SOOOOO easy and minimum prep/clean-up. I followed others' lead and reduced the amount of broth. I also upped the amount of chili powder and chipotle en adobo - but I like things spicier than most.0 Helpful