Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca with Chicken
with tortilla chips / avocados
With no pre-cooking required, this easy slow cooker soup is always a favorite among our members. Set out the toppings and let everyone customize their bowl at the table. Sopa Azteca was last featured in 2018.
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce (opt) - 2 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup , defrosted
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb (sub chicken thighs)
- Avocados - 1 , diced
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Sour cream - for serving (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with corn and then chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Avocados / Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred or chop it. Return chicken to slow cooker. Season soup with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Crush tortilla chips and divide between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top of crushed chips (give the soup a stir to mix the tortilla chips in).
- Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, sour cream, and extra tortilla chips to be added at the table. Enjoy!