Spinach and Bacon Quiche
with raspberry yogurt parfait / peach bellini
Smarts #1: Our recipe uses frozen pie crust but be sure to follow the instructions to account for potential variation in the size of pie crust and pan.
Smarts #2: Adding a layer of cheese as the base of the quiche protects the crust from the egg filling and keeps it crisp as it bakes - don't skip the cheese!
- Prepared pie crust, frozen - 1
- Cheese, gruyere - 2 oz, grated (sub sharp white cheddar)
- Bacon - 4 strips, chopped
- Thyme leaves, fresh - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Half and half - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg, ground (opt) - 1/8 tsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 2 cups
- Raspberries, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Peaches, frozen - 12 oz
- Prosecco - 1 bottle (sub any sparkling wine or champagne)
- Pie crust - Defrost pie crust according to package directions.
- Cheese / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Thyme - Pull leaves off stalks. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Assemble parfaits - Divide yogurt between individual small bowls or glasses (1 / serving). Top with raspberries and drizzle with honey.
- Eggs - Whisk together eggs. Add half and half, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg and whisk until well combined.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven heats, place a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and saute until just starting to turn crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but about 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease and return pan to heat.
- Add spinach to heated pan. Saute until spinach is wilted (add a lid to speed things along), ~5 minutes. Stir in thyme leaves and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Season with a pinch of salt and set spinach aside to cool.
- While spinach cools, poke pie crust all over the bottom and sides. Transfer to heated oven and bake for 10 minutes to get crust started cooking.
- Use paper towels or a clean dish towel to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible. (Spinach can retain a lot of moisture, and you don’t want it to release that moisture into the quiche.)
- Assemble quiche by covering the bottom of the crust with cheese. Top with spinach. Pour egg mixture over spinach, leaving some space at the top of the crust (you may not need all of the filling). Scatter bacon on top.
- Return quiche to the oven and bake until the filling is golden brown and just set in the middle, 18 to 25 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the quiche. (If the crust starts to get too brown towards the end of cooking, cover it lightly with a piece of foil.)
- Just before serving, blend peaches in a standing blender, adding as much water as needed to make a smooth, pourable puree. If you’d like the puree sweeter, add some honey or sugar (not in ingredients list).
- Divide peach puree between glasses and pour prosecco over top.
- Slice quiche and serve with yogurt parfaits and bellinis. Enjoy!
Very good! It needed a bit more time in the oven, but likely because the veggies had too much moisture.1 Helpful
Family favorite! It needed A LOT more time in the oven.0 Helpful
This was so good! I ended up having two slices (unplanned!) and picked up some more spinach today to make it again for the new year. :)0 Helpful
Great quiche recipe. Used breakfast sausage instead of bacon and skipped the spinach b/c... kids :(0 Helpful
I made the quiche but filled it with spinach, kale flakes, onion, green pepper and ham and a variety of cheese. The tips for cooking the crust were so helpful. The quiche was perfectly cooked and delicious.0 Helpful
One of our favorites! I have made this quiche many times. I make it exactly as written and it is perfect every time. I usually double it and make an extra “egg pie” without spinach for the kids.0 Helpful
so good! will make again and write up any other details. i made the crust from scratch Jan 2022 - made crust from scratch but it ended up being a bit soggy at the bottom and the crust shrank (i remember it did last time as well). i think i need to roll it out thinner and have more to drape over the pie dish. everything else was great! i cooked it for 20 minutes and it was probably already done by 180 Helpful