Mulligatawny Soup with Chickpeas
This mild curry soup with rice gains new fans every time we feature it. In the past we've added coconut milk for creaminess, but this version uses half and half to achieve the same result. The last time we featured this meal was 2019.
- Rice, uncooked basmati - 3/4 cup (sub brown or white rice)
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Apples, medium - 1 , peeled and chopped (preferably a tart green variety)
- Potatoes, russet - 12 oz , peeled and cubed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Half and half - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Rice - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples / Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions and carrots. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add spice mix to vegetables and cook for 1 minute to lightly toast the spices.
- Add stock, apples, potatoes, and bay leaves. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes. (If the soup starts to boil, reduce the heat.)
- Stir beans, half and half, and cooked rice into soup and simmer for 1 minute to heat through.
- Taste and season soup with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve soup with sour cream on top. Enjoy!