Mulligatawny Soup with Chickpeas
- Rice, uncooked basmati - 3/4 cup (sub brown or white rice)
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Apples, medium - 1, peeled and chopped (preferably a tart green variety)
- Potatoes, russet - 12 oz, peeled and cubed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Half and half - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Rice - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples / Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions and carrots. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add spice mix to vegetables and cook for 1 minute to lightly toast the spices.
- Add stock, apples, potatoes, and bay leaves. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes. (If the soup starts to boil, reduce the heat.)
- Stir beans, half and half, and cooked rice into soup and simmer for 1 minute to heat through.
- Taste and season soup with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve soup with sour cream on top. Enjoy!
I used skim milk instead of half and half. Based on review, I kept the rice separate which was a good suggestion! So good! Added a green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers and French bread.1 Helpful
This was amazing. Doubled the spice and poured the soup over the rice (instead of adding it). Incredibly filling and so tasty. Perfect for cold wet weather.0 Helpful
Didn’t have enough potatoes so used sweet potatoes to make up the difference added an extra apple too. Used other reviews as a guide and increased the spices - good suggestion.0 Helpful
Quick and easy overall and made great leftovers!0 Helpful
Delicious! Easy to prep, tasty and filling. Doubled the carrots, potatoes and rice - made for a stew like soup.0 Helpful
This was very good and easy to prep. We doubled the slices and potatoes as recommended by other cs heroes. A great meal on a cold winter day.0 Helpful
Definitely double the spices, potentially add more apples too. Hearty meal but fairly mild.0 Helpful