Mulligatawny Soup with Chicken
and cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz, riced
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Apples, medium - 1, peeled and chopped (preferably a tart green variety)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Coconut milk (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter (portion for cauliflower rice). Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter (portion for cauliflower rice). Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apples - Peel and chop apples.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until lightly brown and just cooked through. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter (portion for soup) to pan. When butter melts, add onions and carrots. Saute, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add spice mix to vegetables and cook for 1 minute to lightly toast the spices.
- Add chicken back to pan. Add stock, apples, and bay leaves. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes to let flavors come together. (If the soup starts to boil, reduce the heat.)
- Stir coconut milk and cauliflower rice into soup and simmer for 1 minute to heat through.
- Taste and season soup with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve soup with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
I used skim milk instead of half and half. Based on review, I kept the rice separate which was a good suggestion! So good! Added a green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers and French bread.1 Helpful
Just are some of this soup that — I guess — we made 6 months ago, and froze. What a delicious treat! Holds up well frozen and was so yummy and filling I had to come online and write a review.0 Helpful
Loved every spoonful!0 Helpful
This was amazing. Doubled the spice and poured the soup over the rice (instead of adding it). Incredibly filling and so tasty. Perfect for cold wet weather.0 Helpful
Didn’t have enough potatoes so used sweet potatoes to make up the difference added an extra apple too. Used other reviews as a guide and increased the spices - good suggestion.0 Helpful
Quick and easy overall and made great leftovers!0 Helpful