Chicken Burrito Bowls
with pico de gallo
With this meal, we're trying to make an even better homemade version of the well-known fast casual restaurant's. (You know the one!). Assemble the bowl in the kitchen or set everything out and build your bowl at the table.
Smarts: This time we recommend buying store-bought pico de gallo to save time, but the 2016 version includes a recipe for fresh salsa.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped (sub boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head, chopped or shredded
- Cheese, white cheddar (opt) - 4 oz, grated (buy pre-grated to save time)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Pico de Gallo - 1/2 cup (use store-bought or make your own)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Rice, uncooked basmati - 3/4 cup (sub brown or white rice)
- Rice - (Double if making Wednesday's meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice blend - Mix together ground coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss chicken with spice blend. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Cheese - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Corn - Defrost corn.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken to heated oil and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- To chicken add beans and corn and saute until heated through. Season with some salt and pepper. Stir in lime juice.
- If rice was cooked ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Assemble burrito bowls by topping shredded lettuce with rice, chicken mixture, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping. Alternatively, set all ingredients out so that everyone can put together their own bowl. Enjoy!
This was simple and excellent. We added some green pepper, onion, and sour cream, but it would have been flavorful without it!1 Helpful