Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
with egg noodles / roasted balsamic broccolini
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, halved or quartered if large
- Thyme leaves, fresh - 1 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 lb
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Egg noodles - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Broccolini - 1 lb, trimmed (sub broccoli florets)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Noodles - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prepare according to package directions. If making ahead, toss with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make seasoning - Combine flour, paprika, ground coriander, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Thyme leaves - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss broccolini with cooking oil (portion for broccolini), vinegar, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and roast until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While broccolini roasts, heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and then mushrooms to melted butter. Saute mushrooms until golden brown and very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with some salt and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add cooking oil (portion for stroganoff).
- Add beef and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes.
- To beef add garlic and thyme leaves and stir until fragrant, ~1 minute. Sprinkle seasoning mixture over beef and stir until no dry spots remain.
- Pour white wine into pan, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock and reserved mushrooms to the pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thickened but still saucy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- If noodles were cooked ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Add some more oil if they are sticking together.)
- Toss broccolini with lemon juice.
- Serve stroganoff over noodles with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
The sauce was really flavorful. I only had chicken stock so I added some Better Than Bullion...and a little Worcestershire. The sauce seemed way too thin, so I added more flour slurry. Next time I would reduce the amount of liquid.2 Helpful
My husband made this so I can't be for sure he followed the recipe exactly. My main issue with it was that it was made with ground beef rather than steak. It just wasn't the same! The flavor was fairly good but I have tried other stroganoff recipes with a LOT more flavor. Most likely won't be making this again.0 Helpful
So good!0 Helpful
Meal prepped ahead. Doubled spices. Big chunks for mushrooms so I could pick them out (I hate mushrooms) and fam could eat them. Elbow macaroni because it’s what we had. Ended up freezing leftover meat sauce because there was so much!0 Helpful
Not good. Bland. Boring. Bummer.0 Helpful
I enjoyed this a lot. Something different to add the mix. I followed the recipe as is and it came out great and great consistency0 Helpful
We really enjoyed this meal.0 Helpful