Deconstructed Pork Potsticker Bowl
with rice noodles / shiitake mushrooms
Inspired by potstickers but without all the work, this layered bowl includes a variety of Asian flavors and ingredients.
Smarts: The cucumber sticks add fresh crunch and color on top of the bowls, but feel free to skip them if you don’t want to prep another element. Don’t skip the fresh ginger in the sauce though - it’s a key flavor here.
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz, chopped (sub any type of mushrooms)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp (sub chopped green onions)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz (look for a mix that includes carrots for added flavor and color)
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Rice noodles - 8 oz (look for Pad Thai noodles)
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Oyster sauce - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub Hoisin sauce)
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Peanuts / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store peanuts in one container. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together ginger, garlic, stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil, and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- While noodles cook, heat a wok or large skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add coleslaw mix and saute until nearly tender, 5 to 7 minutes. (Add a splash of water if the pan starts to look dry.) Add rice vinegar and some salt and saute for 1 minute more, until cabbage is cooked to your liking. Set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add pork and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to get it started cooking. Add mushrooms and saute until pork is fully cooked and mushrooms are tender, ~5 minutes more. Drain off excess oil.
- Give sauce a stir and pour it over pork and mushrooms. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Assemble bowls with a bed of noodles, topped with cabbage, pork, peanuts, and cilantro on top. Serve with cucumbers for some cooling crunch. Add some extra Sriracha if you’d like and stir everything together as you eat. Enjoy!
Loved this. I accidentally mixed the cabbage and pork together but it was fine. I chopped the mushrooms so you couldn't see them Used rice stick noodles. Completely forgot the cucumbers in the fridge.0 Helpful
Yum! Everyone loved this meal!0 Helpful
The entire family loved it! May use regular mushrooms next time.0 Helpful
Delicious meal! Made the sauce in the morning. Prepped the cucumbers and of course forgot to serve them. No leftovers. Will make again!0 Helpful
So good! Doubled the sauce (half for cooking, half for serving), used cashews as can’t have peanuts and added sesame seeds. We needed more noodles...0 Helpful
I don’t like tofu, so first time wasn’t a succes. Second time made it with lentils instead of tofu (otherwise as directed) and it was really good! Easy delicious and fast0 Helpful