Gochujang Beef Fried Rice
with sesame spinach
Smarts: We chose to serve the spinach on the side for some variation in textures, but feel free to just stir the spinach right into the fried rice near the end of cooking if you’d prefer.
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Frozen vegetables, any mix - 1 1/2 cups (use a stir-fry or Asian mix if available)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Gochujang Stir-fry Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 7 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Gochujang - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, gochujang, soy sauce (portion for sauce), brown sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Frozen vegetables - Defrost in the microwave.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach, soy sauce (portion for spinach), and toasted sesame oil. Saute until spinach wilts (you can put a lid over the pan to speed this along). Add sesame seeds and continue to saute until most of the water has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes more. Squeeze lemon juice over spinach and season with some salt. Set spinach aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then beef to heated oil. Saute, breaking beef apart, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add vegetables to beef and stir to combine.
- Give sauce a stir and pour over vegetables and beef. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes.
- Add rice and toss everything together until heated through.
- Stir peanuts into fried rice.
- Serve fried rice with spinach on the side (you can also stir it right into the fried rice if you prefer). Top fried rice with cilantro and finish by squeezing lime wedges over top. Serve any extra lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
So I made a mistake and thawed a nice strip steak 🥩 instead of the ground beef. Good mistake! I sliced/cut it small enough but big enough to taste. It was a great choice for flavor. Added extra veggies and sauce. Spicy (which we love) but not too much. Would almost double the spinach.1 Helpful
This was great! I shredded some leftover roast beef to use instead of the ground beef and it worked just fine. I agree with other reviewers, the spinach was too small an amount for a side. I ended up just stirring it into the rice.0 Helpful
Had bought Gochujang for another Cooksmarts recipe and was looking for a new way to use it - this was great! I used chicken breast instead of beef. Would probably double the amount of spinach next time since it wilts down so much.0 Helpful
Yummy, we added egg to it which was great :)0 Helpful
Very good. I mixed paleo and gf versions (used Gochujang because its delicious).0 Helpful
Super flavourful! Couldn't stop eating it. We added extra rice to make the meal go a little further.0 Helpful
Pretty good. Added spinach to rice and beef per other reviewers - liked it that way.0 Helpful