Sweet and Sour Tofu
with bell peppers / sugar snap peas / rice
Smarts: Be sure to follow the instructions to save the pineapple juice when you strain the pineapple. You'll use the juice in the sweet and sour sauce.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, chopped
- Pineapple chunks, canned in juice (20oz / 567g) - 1 can, liquid reserved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar snap peas - 12 oz (sub snow peas)
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Pineapple juice - 3/4 cup (reserved from canned pineapple)
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/2 cups
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Drain pineapple, but reserve the liquid. Store the pineapple chunks and liquid separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make slurry - Whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute for 5 to 6 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown.
- To tofu, add bell peppers and sugar snap peas. Saute until they start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over tofu and vegetables.
- When sauce is simmering, give cornstarch slurry a stir and add it to the sauce.
- Simmer everything together, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in pineapple.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half for Thursday.)
- Serve sweet and sour tofu over rice. Top with cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
very good! made tofu on griddle, chopped and mixed in at end made with no pineapple juice because i had fresh pineapple and it was fine. we don't like sweet dishes. subbed extra water ,and even lowered brown sugar.1 Helpful
Was very sweet. Our sauce was too thin, would add more cornstarch.0 Helpful
I used fresh pineapple, which I think caused the meat protein to do terrible things between the first meal and the leftovers. Normally use canned but the canned pineapple shelves were empty.0 Helpful
It was a very accurate recreation of take out sweet and sour, it was way too sweet for us. Nostalgic though!0 Helpful
I would cook the shrimp separately next time in order not to overcook. We really liked the sauce. Will make again with shrimp or chicken.0 Helpful
Nice easy meal - I used pineapple sausage instead of shrimp because I don't like shrimp.0 Helpful
I enjoyed this, but my other half felt it was too sweet. I might look for a less sweet version in the future.0 Helpful