Sheet Pan Peruvian Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
with cilantro sauce / cucumber spears
Flavorful marinated chicken and sliced sweet potatoes cook together on a sheet pan for this simple, low-fuss meal to start off the week.
Smarts: The cilantro sauce works best as a topping, so drizzle it over everything right before serving. If you want a creamier sauce for dipping, try whisking in some mayonnaise, sour cream, or Greek yogurt.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, halved lengthwise and then sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1 cup
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, chopped, seeds and pith removed if you'd like it to be less spicy
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, sliced into spears (preferably a seedless variety like English cucumbers)
- Sweet potatoes / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make cilantro sauce - Combine cilantro leaves, jalapenos, olive oil (portion for sauce), and lemon juice (portion for sauce). Blend with an immersion blender. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chicken seasoning - Combine garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, dried oregano, black pepper, olive oil (portion for chicken), and lemon juice (portion for chicken). This should form a thick paste. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prepare chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while preparing chicken.) Tenderize chicken with a fork. Rub seasoning mixture on both sides of chicken thighs. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers - Slice into spears.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss sweet potatoes with first portion of cooking oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Spread sweet potatoes out on a sheet pan and roast for 15 minutes to get them started cooking.
- Next, heat a skillet with second portion of cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken thighs and sear on both sides just until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove pan with sweet potatoes and flip them with a spatula. Add chicken thighs to sheet pan and return both to the oven.
- Continue roasting chicken and sweet potatoes together until chicken is cooked through and sweet potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. (Chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C.)
- Give cilantro sauce a stir. Season it with some salt.
- Sprinkle some salt over cucumber spears.
- Just before serving, drizzle cilantro sauce over chicken and sweet potatoes. Serve with cucumber spears for some fresh crunch. Enjoy!
Cilantro sauce ended up a little spicier than I'd thought it would be - probably wouldn't use a jalapeno next time... Otherwise, really good. Kids ate everything (though we mixed a lot of sour cream with the cilantro sauce for the youngest.)0 Helpful
So good!! I will make that again.0 Helpful
I ran out of curry powder and used curry powder instead and WOW it was delish. Next time will have to make it how it was recommended.0 Helpful
I liked it, but the only thing is I would add Mayo to the cilantro sauce0 Helpful
I hate cilantro so substituted mint for cilantro and it was great!0 Helpful
This was so amazing!!! Everyone loved it. Didn't have cucumbers, so just served greens with broccoli slaw and the cilantro sauce as a dressing. Doubled the chicken and there seemed to be enough marinade to coat. Used mortar and pestle to make the sauces (not enough for my vitamix to be very effective...tried...could double though).0 Helpful