Sauteed Sirloin Tips with Bell Peppers and Onions
over mashed potatoes
This quick meal is classic and colorful. The key to its great flavor is in the marinated steak, which gets savory notes from soy sauce and tart notes from balsamic vinegar.
- Bell peppers, any color - 3, thinly sliced
- Onions, medium and red - 1, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 2 tsp, chopped (opt; sub chopped cilantro)
- Steak, sirloin - 1 lb, cubed (sub any cut of steak like skirt or flank)
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Potatoes, Russet - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Onions / Garlic / Parsley (if using) - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions. Combine garlic and parsley in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Cube steak. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Whisk together garlic, parsley, vinegar, soy sauce, first portion of oil, brown sugar, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Add steak and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove lid from potatoes and simmer until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While potatoes simmer, heat a large skillet or wok with second portion of oil over medium heat. Add steak (discard marinade) and saute until golden brown and nearly cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Season generously with some salt and pepper as steak cooks. Set steak aside and return pan to heat.
- If pan looks dry, add a splash of oil and then add bell peppers and onions with some salt. Saute until very tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir steak back into peppers and onions. Add green onions and toss everything together to combine.
- Use a masher to mash potatoes with yogurt, butter, and some salt.
- Serve sirloin over mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
So yummy! Added mushrooms0 Helpful
I subbed a yellow onion for the red. The meal was great! Lots of flavor.0 Helpful
Really easy weeknight stir fry. Will make this again.0 Helpful
Meh, not a fan of all those peppers.0 Helpful
Yummy!! Definitely will marinade longer next time and add some balsamic to cooking.0 Helpful
Did rice instead of potatoes. It was just ok.0 Helpful