Sauteed Sirloin Tips with Bell Peppers and Onions
over mashed potatoes
- Bell peppers, any color - 3, thinly sliced
- Onions, medium and red - 1, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 2 tsp, chopped (opt; sub chopped cilantro)
- Steak, sirloin - 1 lb, cubed (sub any cut of steak like skirt or flank)
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Potatoes, Russet - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Onions / Garlic / Parsley (if using) - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions. Combine garlic and parsley in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Cube steak. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Whisk together garlic, parsley, vinegar, soy sauce, first portion of oil, brown sugar, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Add steak and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove lid from potatoes and simmer until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While potatoes simmer, heat a large skillet or wok with second portion of oil over medium heat. Add steak (discard marinade) and saute until golden brown and nearly cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Season generously with some salt and pepper as steak cooks. Set steak aside and return pan to heat.
- If pan looks dry, add a splash of oil and then add bell peppers and onions with some salt. Saute until very tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir steak back into peppers and onions. Add green onions and toss everything together to combine.
- Use a masher to mash potatoes with yogurt, butter, and some salt.
- Serve sirloin over mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
I really enjoyed this. My husband and children did not. They don’t care much for sautéed peppers, onions, and sweet potatoes 🤦♀️ I used flank steak and threw in some mushroom, and I thought it was delicious. The meat has amazing flavor. I used dry parsley and it turned out fine.1 Helpful
Very tasty. I added some of the leftover marinade to the peppers and onions when they were cooking to lend them more flavor and it was delicious.0 Helpful
LOVED THIS!!! Going on repeat. Amazing marinade.0 Helpful
I didn't make the mashed potatoes, because I just had some steak to use up, but the marinade was really good.0 Helpful
Loved this. The beef almost tasted like jerky and I loved it!0 Helpful
Easy and super tasty marinade. The mashed potatoes were delicious as well. Bought the sirloin pre-cut (stir fry pack) which made it really easy. G approved. Will make again.0 Helpful
I thought it was super delicious and easy! the steak bites came out really tender. I might add some hot sauce or something during the saute to get a little more punch of flavor. Will definitely make again!0 Helpful