Sauteed Sirloin Tips with Bell Peppers and Onions
over mashed potatoes
- Bell peppers, any color - 3, thinly sliced
- Onions, medium and red - 1, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 2 tsp, chopped (opt; sub chopped cilantro)
- Steak, sirloin - 1 lb, cubed (sub any cut of steak like skirt or flank)
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Potatoes, Russet - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Onions / Garlic / Parsley (if using) - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions. Combine garlic and parsley in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Cube steak. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Whisk together garlic, parsley, vinegar, soy sauce, first portion of oil, brown sugar, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Add steak and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove lid from potatoes and simmer until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While potatoes simmer, heat a large skillet or wok with second portion of oil over medium heat. Add steak (discard marinade) and saute until golden brown and nearly cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Season generously with some salt and pepper as steak cooks. Set steak aside and return pan to heat.
- If pan looks dry, add a splash of oil and then add bell peppers and onions with some salt. Saute until very tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir steak back into peppers and onions. Add green onions and toss everything together to combine.
- Use a masher to mash potatoes with yogurt, butter, and some salt.
- Serve sirloin over mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
I really enjoyed this. My husband and children did not. They don’t care much for sautéed peppers, onions, and sweet potatoes 🤦♀️ I used flank steak and threw in some mushroom, and I thought it was delicious. The meat has amazing flavor. I used dry parsley and it turned out fine.1 Helpful
Easy and super tasty marinade. The mashed potatoes were delicious as well. Bought the sirloin pre-cut (stir fry pack) which made it really easy. G approved. Will make again.0 Helpful
I thought it was super delicious and easy! the steak bites came out really tender. I might add some hot sauce or something during the saute to get a little more punch of flavor. Will definitely make again!0 Helpful
So yummy! Added mushrooms0 Helpful
I subbed a yellow onion for the red. The meal was great! Lots of flavor.0 Helpful
Really easy weeknight stir fry. Will make this again.0 Helpful
Meh, not a fan of all those peppers.0 Helpful