Roasted Salmon with Mashed Butternut Squash
with apple and spinach salad
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Foil - for roasting
Mashed Butternut Squash:
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs , cubed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Coconut milk, light - 3 Tbsp (sub butter)
Apple and Spinach Salad:
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apples - 1 , sliced or chopped
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Butternut squash / Shallots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Skip squash step if squash was prepped / roasted ahead for Monday.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together shallots, vinegar, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish.
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- If you didn’t already roast the squash with Monday’s meal, toss squash with olive oil (portion for squash) and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan in an even layer (use two sheet pans if needed to prevent overcrowding). Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- When squash is done roasting, place salmon into a baking dish. Season with some salt and pepper and then cover with foil. Bake for about 5 minutes and then broil for another 5 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness of fish.
- Transfer squash to a mixing bowl (if made ahead, warm it in the microwave first) and mash with lemon juice and coconut milk until smooth. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toss spinach and apples in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve salmon over mashed butternut squash with salad on the side.