Roasted Butternut Squash and Hummus Flatbread
with apple and spinach salad
This meal was originally a pizza with similar flavors (back in 2017), but we simplified things this time around and used flatbread instead of pizza dough. It's great either way, so feel free to use pizza dough if you prefer.
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 5 oz, thinly sliced or grated
- Flatbreads - 4 rounds (use any type like naan or pita bread)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Hummus - 1/2 cup (pick a neutral flavor)
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 3 Tbsp, grated
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apples - 1, sliced or chopped
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Butternut squash / Shallots (for flatbread and salad) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Skip squash step if squash was prepped / roasted ahead for Monday.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together shallots (portion for salad), vinegar, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese - Slice or grate mozzarella cheese. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- If you didn’t already roast the squash with Monday’s meal, toss squash with olive oil (portion for squash) and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan in an even layer (use two sheet pans if needed to prevent overcrowding). Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- When squash is done roasting (or near the end of roasting), spread flatbreads out in a single layer on a sheet pan. Brush with olive oil (portion for flatbread). Transfer to the oven and cook until flatbreads are lightly browned on top, ~10 minutes.
- Top toasted flatbreads with hummus, mozzarella, shallots (portion for flatbread), and squash. Bake for another 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove flatbreads and top with parmesan cheese.
- Toss spinach and apples in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Slice flatbreads and enjoy with salad on the side.
About 4.5. Way better than we were expecting, we do love hummus! Very fast as well.0 Helpful
Yummy! I used lavash and since the surface area was larger, I used more mozzarella and parmesan. I also opted for a few bags of frozen, pre-cut butternut squash. It roasted quickly and was delicious. I actually had enough of the toppings to make 5 of the lavash flatbreads (instead of the 4), which was the number in the package. Now we have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow.0 Helpful
These flavors went together amazingly. The salmon and butternut squash paired perfectly together. I used persimmon instead of apple on the salad because I had one and wanted something different. The dressing with the shallots was simple and delicious and went so well with all of the other flavors married together on my plate.0 Helpful