Shrimp and Vegetable Stir-Fry
with zucchini noodles / carrots / mushrooms
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 1/2 lbs
- Carrots - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Zucchini - 12 oz, spiralized or sliced into ribbons with a peeler
- Cilantro (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/3 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp. Rinse and pat dry. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine garlic, water, aminos, vinegar, arrowroot powder, honey, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (skip if using pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler.
- Cilantro (if using) - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then carrots. Saute until starting to brown in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. (Note: Add a splash of water to the pan at any point if the pan looks dry or the vegetables start to burn.)
- Next, add mushrooms to wok and continue cooking until carrots and mushrooms are tender, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Add shrimp to the wok and cook everything together until shrimp are opaque and nearly cooked through, ~4 minutes.
- Push everything to the sides, leaving a hole in the center. Give the sauce a good stir and pour it into the hole. When sauce starts to bubble and thicken, toss everything together until well combined.
- Continue cooking everything together until sauce is thickened. Stir in zucchini noodles and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until zucchini is tender and shrimp is cooked through.
- Squeeze lemon juice over stir-fry.
- Serve stir-fry with cilantro on top. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
My daughter was impressed I made the sauce from scratch. Everyone enjoyed this dish. We subbed chicken for shrimp; I think this would work well with any proteins.1 Helpful
Easy, filling, made great leftovers.0 Helpful
So good! Even my step son liked the zoodles0 Helpful
I just don't like mushrooms. The rest of the family loves them and my husband was cooking this week, so we kept them in. Often, I can just pick around them and it's not a big deal. But this was another one where they really flavored everything. Which, if you like mushrooms is probably a great thing! I just don't care for them much.0 Helpful
Excellent! I doubled the sauce.0 Helpful
Next time: will double the sauce! My husband LOVED this.0 Helpful
So good! Just used 1/2 the amount of noodles, but no one noticed.0 Helpful