Steak and Kale Salad
with butternut squash / balsamic vinaigrette
This fresh yet cozy entree salad was last featured in 2017. At that time it included roasted sweet potatoes, but we love the savory flavor it gets from roasted butternut squash this time around.
Smarts #1: Roast a double batch of butternut squash (or sweet potatoes) for tonight and Wednesday's dinner will be a breeze.
Smarts #2: Prep each of the components for this meal ahead of time and all you need to do is cook the steak when you're ready to serve.
- Vinegar, balsamic - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Tamari - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Steak, flank or skirt - 1 1/4 lbs
- Baby kale mix - 8 oz (sub 1 bunch of kale / 8 oz baby kale)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for covering steak
- Walnuts - 2 oz
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup (sub any dried fruit)
- Cheese, goat - 4 oz (sub feta)
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Steak - Mix together garlic powder, Tamari, and balsamic vinegar (portion for salad). Cover steak in marinade and tenderize with a fork. Let steak marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Butternut squash - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Peel and cube squash. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar (the portion for the vinaigrette), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale - If not using a baby kale mix, remove leaves from stems. Tear leaves into small bite sized pieces. Wash and dry in salad spinner. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss squash with olive oil (portion for squash) and some salt. (Note: If making Wednesday’s meal, roast squash for that night at the same time.) Spread out on a sheet pan in an even layer (use two sheet pans if needed to prevent overcrowding). Roast for 15 minutes and then increase temperature to 475F / 246C. Shake and rotate pans and roast for another 10 to 12 minutes at higher temperature, until golden and crispy.
- While squash roasts, heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then steak to heated oil. Sear for 3 to 6 minutes on each side (closer to 3 for medium-rare and closer to 6 for more well done meat). Remove from heat, cover in foil, and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- Toss kale leaves, walnuts, dried cranberries, and roasted butternut squash (remember to reserve half if doubled) with vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Top with sliced steak and crumbled goat cheese. Enjoy!
It was ... ok. For whatever reason, no one was all that excited, even though we all expected to really like it. Probably would have been better with baby kale - ended up with regular kale on accident. But I don't think that was the whole thing.0 Helpful
Used couscous instead of quinoa. This meal was tasty, colorful, full of texture and so nutritious. We really liked it!0 Helpful
I made this into a 100% hot dinner as it was freezing cold today and it worked amazingly well. I put the kale, walnuts and cranberries in a baking tray, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper then roasted below the squash for 20 mins stirring twice - absolutely delicious!0 Helpful
LOVE IT! Quick, easy, nutritious!0 Helpful
I loved everything about this quick and simple meal. Since I made it on a holiday I had more time. After roasting the sweet potatoes and squash, I threw in the steak under the broiler on the same pan (fewer dishes). Marking as a favorite. Wish there had been leftovers.0 Helpful
I massaged some salt, lemon juice, and olive oil into the kale and used that for this bowl with freekeh instead of quinoa. The butternut squash didn’t turn out quite as I had hoped because so much water came out of it during the cooking process that it seemed to steam more than really roast. Regardless, this was a tasty lunch for several days, especially with the marinated mushrooms.0 Helpful