with vanilla ice cream
This recipe was originally written to make 8 servings.
Cranberries are always a festive addition to a Thanksgiving spread, and their bright color makes them a fun base for a rustic crisp.
Smarts: The cranberry filling will be fairly tart after baking, but we found the tartness to be just right with a scoop of sweet vanilla ice cream. Feel free to increase the sugar if you'd like a sweeter filling.
- Cranberries, fresh or frozen - 5 cups
- Brown sugar, light - 3/4 cup + 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Rolled oats - 1 cup
- Pecans, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp, melted
- Flour - 1/4 cup
- Ice cream, vanilla - for serving
- Make filling - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Stir together cranberries, first portion of brown sugar, lemon zest, and cornstarch.
- Make topping - Stir together second portion of brown sugar, oats, pecans, and melted butter. Add flour and stir until evenly combined.
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C. Spray a round cake pan, square baking dish, or pie plate with nonstick cooking spray or brush it with some oil.
- Pour cranberry filling into prepared pan. Crumble topping over cranberries.
- Bake, uncovered, until topping is golden and cranberry filling is bubbling, 28 to 30 minutes.
- Let crisp rest for 5 to 10 minutes (the filling will thicken as it rests).
- Divide cranberry crisp between serving bowls and top with ice cream.
Delicious with vanilla ice cream on the side!0 Helpful
Simple and yummy but I was puzzled by all the odd measurements that make it difficult to use my measuring cups and spoons, like 3/8 cup and 1/16 cup. Maybe it was scaled down from a bigger recipe? Couldn't it be rounded to easier sizes to measure? Kudos for including a dessert recipe! We needed this!0 Helpful