with vanilla ice cream
This recipe was originally written to make 8 servings.
Cranberries are always a festive addition to a Thanksgiving spread, and their bright color makes them a fun base for a rustic crisp.
Smarts: The cranberry filling will be fairly tart after baking, but we found the tartness to be just right with a scoop of sweet vanilla ice cream. Feel free to increase the sugar if you'd like a sweeter filling.
- Cranberries, fresh or frozen - 5 cups
- Brown sugar, light - 3/4 cup + 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Rolled oats - 1 cup
- Pecans, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp, melted
- Flour - 1/4 cup
- Ice cream, vanilla - for serving
- Make filling - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Stir together cranberries, first portion of brown sugar, lemon zest, and cornstarch.
- Make topping - Stir together second portion of brown sugar, oats, pecans, and melted butter. Add flour and stir until evenly combined.
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C. Spray a round cake pan, square baking dish, or pie plate with nonstick cooking spray or brush it with some oil.
- Pour cranberry filling into prepared pan. Crumble topping over cranberries.
- Bake, uncovered, until topping is golden and cranberry filling is bubbling, 28 to 30 minutes.
- Let crisp rest for 5 to 10 minutes (the filling will thicken as it rests).
- Divide cranberry crisp between serving bowls and top with ice cream.
It was good, especially with ice cream. A bit tot much sugar and I used less than the amounts listed. Needs to be a little saucier.0 Helpful
Too much sugar in the topping. Serve with two scoops of ice cream to cut tartness.0 Helpful
Quick, easy delicious0 Helpful
Delicious with vanilla ice cream on the side!0 Helpful
Simple and yummy but I was puzzled by all the odd measurements that make it difficult to use my measuring cups and spoons, like 3/8 cup and 1/16 cup. Maybe it was scaled down from a bigger recipe? Couldn't it be rounded to easier sizes to measure? Kudos for including a dessert recipe! We needed this!0 Helpful