Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
and apples / pecans
This recipe was originally written to make 6 servings. This salad just feels like fall. The tart apple cider vinegar helps to add a freshness to the greens and helps the sliced apples to retain their bright color even if the salad isn’t served right away.
- Shallots - 2 cloves, thinly sliced
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1/4 cup
- Kale, curly leaf - 10 oz, stems removed and leaves finely chopped (sub baby kale)
- Apples - 2, sliced
- Pecans, halves or pieces - 3/4 cup
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Pickle shallots - Thinly slice shallots. Combine with vinegar (portion for salad), adding a bit more if needed to fully cover them. Leave shallots for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), honey, and mustard. Add oil while whisking. Season with some salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale - Remove stems and finely chop leaves. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Drain vinegar off shallots (discard vinegar) and rinse shallots in tap water.
- If using regular kale (not baby kale), combine with a small amount of the vinaigrette in a mixing bowl and use your hands to gently rub the vinaigrette into the leaves. (This step to “massage” the leaves helps to tenderize them.)
- Just before serving, toss kale, apples, pecans, and shallots in remaining vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
Added goat cheese and loved it!0 Helpful
I have made this salad multiple times and I love it. I usually skip the onions to save time. Definitely a favorite!0 Helpful
Was a perfect fresh side to go with all the other heavy items. Love the pickled onion and apple combo.0 Helpful
Delicous dressing and salad. Used a spinach/kale/spring mix. Apples and pecans were so good with dressing. Will make again with leftovers.0 Helpful
I toasted the pecans, and added cranberries. This was delicious!0 Helpful
Very successfully salad to go with our Thanksgiving dinner! We used Empire apples, our favorite.0 Helpful