Pan-Seared Za’atar Brussels Sprouts
with preserved lemon
This recipe was originally written to make 6 servings. Za’atar is a favorite spice blend among our community members. Along with sweet and tart preserved lemon, it adds an unexpected rich and fresh flavor to this otherwise classic green vegetable. Smarts: If you can’t find preserved lemon, you can use thinly sliced lemons or just skip it and squeeze some extra lemon juice over top at the end.
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, halved
- Preserved lemon - 2 Tbsp, diced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Heat a large skillet with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add Brussels sprouts and water. Cover with a lid and steam Brussels sprouts for 2 minutes to get them started cooking.
- Remove lid and stir in preserved lemon and za’atar. Season with some salt.
- Saute Brussels sprouts until water has cooked off and sprouts are golden and tender, 3 to 7 minutes more (depending on size).
- Squeeze lemon juice over top of Brussels sprouts before serving.
We tested these before Thanksgiving, and I thought they were just perfect. Love the light and bright flavors the lemon and za'atar add. Will be a nice addition to our (small) Thanksgiving table.0 Helpful