Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
with feta / lentils / roasted bell peppers / panko crust
This recipe was originally written to make 6 sweet potato halves, which can serve 6 as a generous side dish or 3 as a vegetarian main. We took the idea of twice-baked potatoes and gave them a Mediterranean twist. With sweet potatoes as a base, the balance of sweet bell peppers, salty cheese, and hearty lentils still feels comforting and right at home at the holiday table. Smarts: We originally wrote this recipe for 6 servings.
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 3, halved lengthwise (look for sweet potatoes that are about 10 oz each)
- Roasted red bell peppers - 1/2 cup, diced (from a jar of roasted red bell peppers)
- Lentils, cooked - 1 cup (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp (sub regular paprika)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Cheese, feta - 2 oz, crumbled
- Parsley, fresh (opt) - 1/2 tsp, chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Sweet potatoes / Roasted red bell peppers / Parsley - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating / potatoes roasting before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep filling - Combine roasted red bell peppers, lentils, paprika, oil (portion for sweet potatoes), vinegar, and cheese. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make panko crust - Stir together parsley, panko, oil (portion for panko crust), and salt.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Rub halved sweet potatoes on all sides with some cooking oil. Place potatoes cut-side down on a sheet pan. Transfer to heated oven and roast until potatoes are fork-tender, ~30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, use a spoon to gently scrape the flesh out of the potatoes, leaving some of the outer flesh and peels intact.
- Combine potato flesh with the rest of the filling ingredients. Use a fork to mash everything together until evenly mixed. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling back into sweet potato shells, gently pressing it down and mounding it over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Press panko crust onto the top of the potatoes.
- Return potatoes to the oven and continue roasting until crust is lightly browned and flavors have had time to come together, ~15 minutes more.
- Serve potatoes warm. Enjoy!