Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
with feta / lentils / roasted bell peppers / panko crust
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 3, halved lengthwise (look for sweet potatoes that are about 10 oz each)
- Roasted red bell peppers - 1/2 cup, diced (from a jar of roasted red bell peppers)
- Lentils, cooked - 1 cup (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp (sub regular paprika)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Cheese, feta - 2 oz, crumbled
- Parsley, fresh (opt) - 1/2 tsp, chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Sweet potatoes / Roasted red bell peppers / Parsley - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating / potatoes roasting before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep filling - Combine roasted red bell peppers, lentils, paprika, oil (portion for sweet potatoes), vinegar, and cheese. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make panko crust - Stir together parsley, panko, oil (portion for panko crust), and salt.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Rub halved sweet potatoes on all sides with some cooking oil. Place potatoes cut-side down on a sheet pan. Transfer to heated oven and roast until potatoes are fork-tender, ~30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, use a spoon to gently scrape the flesh out of the potatoes, leaving some of the outer flesh and peels intact.
- Combine potato flesh with the rest of the filling ingredients. Use a fork to mash everything together until evenly mixed. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling back into sweet potato shells, gently pressing it down and mounding it over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Press panko crust onto the top of the potatoes.
- Return potatoes to the oven and continue roasting until crust is lightly browned and flavors have had time to come together, ~15 minutes more.
- Serve potatoes warm. Enjoy!
So easy and soooooo flavorful. Will definitely make again as a side or just these for lunch.0 Helpful
This was a flavorful, filling vegetarian main dish for our Thanksgiving dinner. We felt like we had a true main instead of an afterthought dish or extra sides to fill our plates. We’ll have this again soon and won’t war for a holiday.0 Helpful
Delicious. Used Trader Joe’s cooked lentils. Did the and then day before Thanksgiving I fully prepped when cooled and kept covered in the refrigerator.0 Helpful
Will definitely make again0 Helpful
Potatoes took way longer than expected to roast. When they start to pull away from the skin then they are really ready to be scooped out.0 Helpful