Chicken, Green Bean, and Mushroom Stir-fry
with miso butter / rice
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
Chicken, Green Bean, and Mushroom Stir-Fry:
- Green beans - 12 oz , trimmed and chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, cremini - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Butter, unsalted - 2 Tbsp
- Miso - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Rice - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim and chop green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make miso butter - Soften butter in the microwave. Combine butter with miso and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Thinly slice chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or large skillet with first part of oil over medium heat. Add green beans and saute until nearly tender, ~5 minutes. (Note: Let the green beans get brown in spots as they cook, but if they start to burn add a splash of water to cool the pan down.)
- Add mushrooms and white parts of green onions to green beans and saute everything together until mushrooms are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Move vegetables to the sides of the pan, leaving a space in the center. Add second part of cooking oil and then chicken to the open space. Cook chicken without stirring until it starts to brown. Toss everything together.
- Add miso butter to the wok and toss everything together until chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with green parts of green onions on the top. Enjoy with lime wedges on the side and some hot sauce if you’d like.