Vegetable Fajita Bulgur Bowls
with black beans / corn / cheese
For contrast in textures and temperatures, cook the peppers and onions fajita style while serving a corn and black bean salsa at room temperature.
Smarts: For added substance (and since we used it earlier in the week) these fajita bowls use bulgur instead of the more traditional rice as a base. You may not need all of the vinaigrette, but we wanted to give you the option to dress this like a salad if you’d prefer. If you have extra vinaigrette, just save it for another use.
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Bulgur, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium and red - 1, sliced
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Honey-Lime Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp + 5 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes (opt) - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 1 cup
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Cook bulgur - (Skip if made ahead for Wednesday.) Combine bulgur with 2x the amount of water (or use stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, honey, and mustard. Add oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make black bean and corn salsa - Drain and rinse beans. Defrost corn in the microwave. Combine beans, corn, and first portion of vinaigrette. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or wok with oil (portion for salad) over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and saute until nearly tender, 5 to 7 minutes. (Note: Add a splash of water if the peppers and onions start to burn.)
- Season peppers and onions with some salt.
- If bulgur was made ahead, warm briefly in the microwave.
- Assemble bowls with a base of bulgur and lettuce. Top with tomatoes, cheese, black bean salsa, and peppers / onions.
- Drizzle second portion of vinaigrette over bowls until dressed to your liking and serve with sour cream and tortilla chips. You can crumble the tortilla chips over top or use them to scoop everything up as you eat. Enjoy!
Loved the dressing!0 Helpful
Yum yum yum. Favorite immediately.0 Helpful
This was solid. I wished I had a little more dressing, but I think that's probably because the proportions/sizes of the components are hard to standardize exactly.0 Helpful
Good and easy to customize for different ages. Love that you can make ahead and reheat for a quick lunch.0 Helpful
We doubled the spices on the chicken and really enjoyed this salad. We will definitely mark it as a favorite.0 Helpful
Surprisingly tasty! My kids only fought it a little bit. I would definitely eat this again!0 Helpful