Chicken Fajita Salad
with bell peppers / black beans / corn
For contrast in textures and temperatures, cook the chicken, peppers, and onions fajita style while serving a corn and black bean salsa at room temperature.
Smarts: Tex Mex salads like this one are great for customizing. Set out all of the toppings and let everyone build their own bowl at the table.
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Coriander, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, thinly sliced (sub thighs)
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium and red - 1, sliced
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Honey-Lime Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp + 5 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes (opt) - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, honey, and mustard. Add oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine dried coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep chicken - Thinly slice chicken. Toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make black bean and corn salsa - Drain and rinse beans. Defrost corn in the microwave. Combine beans, corn, and first portion of vinaigrette. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or wok with oil (portion for salad) over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and saute until nearly tender, 5 to 7 minutes. (Note: Add a splash of water if the peppers and onions start to burn.)
- Move peppers and onions to one side of the pan and add chicken to pan. Sear chicken without stirring for 2 minutes. Toss everything together and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Assemble salads with a bed of lettuce and tomatoes. Top with black bean and corn salsa, peppers, onions, and chicken.
- Finish salads with second portion of vinaigrette, sour cream, and tortilla chips. You can crumble the tortilla chips over top or use them to scoop up the salad as you eat. Enjoy!
Loved the dressing!0 Helpful
Yum yum yum. Favorite immediately.0 Helpful
This was solid. I wished I had a little more dressing, but I think that's probably because the proportions/sizes of the components are hard to standardize exactly.0 Helpful
Good and easy to customize for different ages. Love that you can make ahead and reheat for a quick lunch.0 Helpful
We doubled the spices on the chicken and really enjoyed this salad. We will definitely mark it as a favorite.0 Helpful
Surprisingly tasty! My kids only fought it a little bit. I would definitely eat this again!0 Helpful