Pan-Seared Tempeh with Pan Sauce
and Brussels sprouts / bulgur
Pan-Seared Tempeh with Pan Sauce:
- Tempeh - 16 oz , sliced (sub halloumi or extra-firm tofu)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb , halved
- Fennel (opt) - 2 oz , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Bulgur, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Cook bulgur - (Double if making Thursday’s meal. If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Combine bulgur with 2x the amount of water (or use stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tempeh / Brussels sprouts / Fennel / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store tempeh and Brussels sprouts in their own containers. Combine fennel and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prepare pan sauce - Whisk together stock, maple syrup, mustard, thyme, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season tempeh - Season tempeh on both sides with Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss together Brussels sprouts, fennel, garlic, and olive oil. Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until Brussels sprouts are tender, 18 to 22 minutes (depending on the size of the sprouts), shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- While Brussels sprouts roast, heat a large skillet with cooking oil over low-medium heat. Add tempeh in a single layer and sear on both sides until deep golden brown, for 8 to 10 minutes total.
- Set tempeh aside and increase heat under the skillet to medium.
- Keep skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, whisk in flour until no dry spots remain. Pour pan sauce into skillet while whisking, scraping up any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Simmer sauce, whisking frequently, until thick, 3 to 5 minutes.
- When Brussels sprouts are finished, toss with lemon juice.
- If bulgur was cooked ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Serve tempeh over bulgur with pan sauce drizzled over top. Enjoy with Brussels sprouts on the side.