Sheet Pan Berbere Tofu and Carrots
with green salad
Berbere Tofu and Carrots:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced at a bias
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Honey and Berbere-Spiced Butter:
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Berbere spice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
Green Salad with Golden Raisins and Almonds:
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub apple cider vinegar)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 8 oz
- Raisins, golden - 1/4 cup (sub dried cranberries)
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1/4 cup
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Carrots - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Slice carrots at a bias. If the carrots are thick, slice them in half in the thickest part so that the pieces are an even thickness. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and paprika. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with a pinch of salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spiced butter - Microwave butter until soft. Stir in berbere spice and honey. If prepping right before cooking, leave the butter at room temperature so it will be easy to pour. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Line a sheet pan with foil to make clean-up easier.
- Toss tofu and carrots with cooking oil and season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on sheet pan. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15 minutes to get them started cooking.
- Remove pan from the oven and flip tofu and carrots with a spatula.
- If spiced butter is too firm to pour, melt it in the microwave. Drizzle butter over tofu and carrots.
- Return pan to oven and continue roasting until carrots are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Just before serving, toss mixed greens, raisins, and almonds in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Squeeze lemon juice over tofu and carrots. Serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!