Sheet Pan Berbere Chicken and Carrots
with green salad
Berbere Chicken and Carrots:
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced at a bias
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Honey and Berbere-Spiced Butter:
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Berbere spice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
Green Salad with Golden Raisins and Almonds:
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub apple cider vinegar)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 8 oz
- Raisins, golden - 1/4 cup (sub dried cranberries)
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1/4 cup
- Carrots - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Slice carrots at a bias. If the carrots are thick, slice them in half in the thickest part so that the pieces are an even thickness. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and paprika. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with a pinch of salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spiced butter - Microwave butter until soft. Stir in berbere spice and honey. If prepping right before cooking, leave the butter at room temperature so it will be easy to pour. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Line a sheet pan with foil to make clean-up easier.
- Toss carrots with first part of cooking oil and season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on sheet pan. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15 minutes to get them started cooking.
- Once carrots are in the oven, heat a skillet with second portion of cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown but not cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove pan with carrots from the oven and turn carrots with a spatula. Nestle chicken thighs into carrots.
- If spiced butter is too firm to pour, melt it in the microwave. Drizzle butter over chicken and carrots.
- Return pan to oven and continue roasting until chicken is cooked through and carrots are tender, 15 to 20 minutes more. (Note: The timing will vary depending on the thickness of chicken thighs and how much they cooked during the searing step. Chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C degrees.)
- When the chicken and carrots are done, squeeze lemon juice over top of both.
- Just before serving, toss mixed greens, raisins, and almonds in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve chicken and carrots with salad on the side. Enjoy!