with broccoli / cauliflower rice
Smarts: Cooking the chicken and broccoli separately gives you the flexibility to cook them each for just as long as they need - no overcooked chicken here!
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Arrowroot powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 2 oz
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 2/3 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cauliflower florets - 1 lb
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine ginger and garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, stock, aminos, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make arrowroot slurry - Combine arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through; it will finish in the sauce). Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add second part of oil and then broccoli. Saute broccoli until nearly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if it starts to look dry during cooking.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and add chicken back to pan. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Give arrowroot slurry a stir. Slowly pour the arrowroot slurry into the sauce. Continue simmering until sauce is thick, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in cashews.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve cashew chicken over cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
Easy and yummy! The flavor of the sauce didn't blow my mind, but overall still good and satisfying and I would make this again. To mix it up, I did half-chicken thighs and half-tofu, and then used cauliflower instead of broccoli.1 Helpful
Our first meal since joining. Subbed brown rice. Very tasty.0 Helpful
Excellent. Quick, easy and just right!0 Helpful
Had everything on hand and added red pepper. Everyone liked this. Fast weeknight dinner.0 Helpful
Really yummy!!!0 Helpful
One of my most favorite meals!! Loved it! Super easy. Highly recommend!0 Helpful
Very tasty and pretty easy to make.0 Helpful