with broccoli / rice
Super fast and easy, this takeout fake-out meal is great for a weeknight. We featured this meal in 2019, but based on feedback, we increased the cornstarch for a sauce that will thicken quickly.
Smarts: Cooking the chicken and broccoli separately gives you the flexibility to cook them each for just as long as they need - no overcooked chicken here!
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 4 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 2 oz
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 2/3 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Rice - (Double if making Tuesday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine ginger and garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, stock, soy sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Season with some salt and pepper and toss with flour. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make cornstarch slurry - Combine cornstarch and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through; it will finish in the sauce). Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add second part of oil and then broccoli. Saute broccoli until nearly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if it starts to look dry during cooking.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and add chicken back to pan. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Give cornstarch slurry a stir. Slowly pour the cornstarch into the sauce. Continue simmering until sauce is thick, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in cashews.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Serve cashew chicken over rice. Enjoy!
Very good and quick!0 Helpful
Easy and yummy! The flavor of the sauce didn't blow my mind, but overall still good and satisfying and I would make this again. To mix it up, I did half-chicken thighs and half-tofu, and then used cauliflower instead of broccoli.0 Helpful
Just like takeout0 Helpful
This was easy to make. I had all the necessary ingredients. I made it exactly as written. I would have like a bit more depth of flavor, but overall very good and satisfying.0 Helpful
Quick and easy. Everyone liked it.0 Helpful