Roasted Butternut Squash Chili
with cauliflower rice
Cauliflower 'rice' is a staple of the paleo diet. It seemed weird to me at first, but every so often, it's a fun alternative to rice. Again, if you don't think it's for you, just make a pot of rice (1/4 cup / serving). Otherwise, give it a try - you just might like it. Plus when you smother it in this chili, you won't even notice that you're eating a vegetable-based rice.
Butternut Squash Chili:
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled & chopped into 1/2" cubes
- Bacon - 6 slices , chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves , minced
- Red onion - 1 , diced
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Lean ground beef (or other ground meat) - 1 lb ((Use grassfed beef if possible))
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder or cayenne - to taste ((Add more for more heat))
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Cauliflower - 1 head ((Florets chopped))
- Butter, grassfed - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cauliflower - Chop off florets. Pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Butternut squash / Bacon / Garlic / Red onion / Green onions - Prep as directed. Keep white and green parts of green onions separate. (Can be done up to 3 days before)
- Butternut squash - Toss with olive oil. Salt and pepper generously and roast for 20 to 30 minutes in a 400F (204C) degree oven. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Ground beef - Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in bacon pieces and saute until bacon's browned on the edges. Add in onions, garlic, and white parts of green onion and saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Next add in beef, breaking up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add in cumin, paprika, chili powder, apple cider vinegar, and tomatoes. Stir to mix. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, letting flavors build and absorb.
- Place cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring midway through. Mix in butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve chili topped with butternut squash and chopped green onions. Spoon over your cauliflower rice.