Roasted Butternut Squash Chili
with cauliflower rice
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled & chopped into 1/2" cubes
- Bacon - 6 slices, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Red onion - 1, diced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Lean ground beef (or other ground meat) - 1 lb ((Use grassfed beef if possible))
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder or cayenne - to taste ((Add more for more heat))
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Cauliflower - 1 head ((Florets chopped))
- Butter, grassfed - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cauliflower - Chop off florets. Pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Butternut squash / Bacon / Garlic / Red onion / Green onions - Prep as directed. Keep white and green parts of green onions separate. (Can be done up to 3 days before)
- Butternut squash - Toss with olive oil. Salt and pepper generously and roast for 20 to 30 minutes in a 400F (204C) degree oven. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Ground beef - Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in bacon pieces and saute until bacon's browned on the edges. Add in onions, garlic, and white parts of green onion and saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Next add in beef, breaking up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add in cumin, paprika, chili powder, apple cider vinegar, and tomatoes. Stir to mix. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, letting flavors build and absorb.
- Place cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring midway through. Mix in butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve chili topped with butternut squash and chopped green onions. Spoon over your cauliflower rice.
Love this one. It’s a staple in the house0 Helpful
Remarkably tasty! As a squash hater, this may be the best possible use for squash. The chili has a lot of flavor for as fast as it is, and the spice level is easily adjustable. I was impressed.0 Helpful
Great flavor and easy to throw together with prep done ahead0 Helpful
Lot of pans/pots to juggle but v tasty0 Helpful
One of my top 5 fav cooksmarts recipe0 Helpful
Loved this combination of spices with the sweet squash. We've had our fill of cauliflower squash lately, so I skipped the "rice" altogether and threw in a half head of chopped cabbage. Delicious0 Helpful