Hungarian Chicken Paprikash with Mushrooms
and egg noodles / green beans
When we first featured this meal in 2019, so many community members included mushrooms in the sauce that we wanted to bring it back with that delicious update. We also heard that many people liked this with some spice, so feel free to add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.
Smarts: The amount of flavor you get from your paprika will vary depending on how long the spice has been sitting in your pantry. Increase the amount a bit if you know your paprika is on the older side.
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp (use Hungarian sweet paprika if you have it, but regular paprika will work fine)
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Water - 1 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Egg noodles - 8 oz (sub fusilli or rotini)
- Green beans / Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and bell peppers in one container. Store green beans and garlic in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Mushrooms / Chives - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven is warming up, heat a Dutch oven with first portion of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs. Cook on both sides until golden brown but not cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total. Set chicken aside.
- To Dutch oven, add second part of cooking oil and then mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are tender, 6 to 8 minutes (adding some water if the pan starts to look dry). Season mushrooms with some salt.
- Add apple cider vinegar to pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add butter to pan and then onions and bell peppers. Saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour, and paprika and stir until no dry spots remain.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes (including liquid), and water over aromatics. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken back to pan and nestle into sauce. Reduce temperature to a low simmer. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes (depending on size of chicken thighs).
- While chicken cooks, whisk together olive oil, wine vinegar, and mustard. Toss with green beans.
- Spread green beans out on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until green beans are tender and brown in spots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~15 minutes.
- When chicken is done, move pan off heat. Remove 1 cup / 237 mL of sauce from chicken (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and combine with sour cream. Pour sauce / sour cream back over chicken and stir everything together to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lemon juice over chicken and top with chives.
- If noodles were made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (You can toss them with some oil or butter if they seem dry.)
- Serve chicken and sauce over noodles with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
Accidentally used chicken breast instead of chicken thighs so cut them into pieces and it cooked faster. Not complaining, actually think I'll cut up thighs to make again.0 Helpful
maybe my paprika wasn't the right one? also needs more mushrooms. but otherwise easy and really good0 Helpful
Loved this. Had to make it without onions to appease hubs but I think it would have been gangbusters with them! So great. I'm doubling the mushrooms next time!0 Helpful
Perfect Sunday dinner after a day out in the cold cleaning up the yard for winter.0 Helpful
Was good but I think next time I'm gonna use a bit more spices to bring out the flavor even more.0 Helpful
This was a winner! Came together quickly with weekend prep done ahead, and the flavors were so good. I did have a brand new jar of Hungarian sweet paprika on hand and I’m sure that made a difference. I eat keto rather than paleo so I went ahead and added in the sour cream and it was so good. Burned my beans but we didn’t really need them.0 Helpful