Waffle Iron Grilled Cheese
with spring mix salad
Smarts: Don't have a waffle maker or just don't want to pull it out? Cook the grilled cheese in the typical manner - on a skillet or griddle.
- Cheese, Monterey Jack - 6 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded; sub white cheddar)
- Bread, any sliced gluten-free - 8 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Apples, any tart variety - 1, sliced
- Cucumbers - 6 oz, thinly sliced
- Spring mix - 8 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese (if not pre-shredded) - Grate cheese. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Heat up a waffle iron.
- While waffle iron is heating up, prepare sandwiches by lining up bread on a cutting board. Butter bread on one side. Place cheese between two slices of bread, leaving buttered-side out.
- Transfer one sandwich to heated waffle iron, pressing down firmly to leave waffle-shaped imprints in the bread. Toast sandwich until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Continue with all remaining sandwiches.
- While sandwiches toast, toss together apples, cucumbers, and greens. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Enjoy sandwiches with salad on the side.
I made the sandwiches on a griddle since I don't own a waffle maker. They were tasty and it was a quick meal to put together. The salad's tartness was a good compliment to the cheesy sandwiches.1 Helpful
Pathetic recipe. Can't believe I paid a subscription for this.0 Helpful
Kids enjoyed0 Helpful
This was fine. Definitely one of the ones where the benefit is that I didn't have to spend time thinking about what we were having for dinner and just followed the plan rather than one where we had this amazing dining experience.0 Helpful
Such a great, simple meal! I love when a very easy, fast meal comes up on the menu. Flavors were great together as well (tart salad with savory cheesy sandwich!).0 Helpful
Thank you for a new twist on a simple meal. No fighting with the kiddoes on this one. This is my new go-to way of making grilled cheese.0 Helpful
Yes, it was yummy, but I signed up for this because grilled cheese is the only thing I already know how to cook...0 Helpful