Waffle Iron Grilled Cheese
with spring mix salad
We wanted to keep this meal super simple so that you could enjoy the fun of a grilled cheese sandwich that is pressed into a waffle maker! Making a grilled cheese sandwich in a waffle maker gives it lots of texture and a crisp golden brown crust.
Smarts: Don't have a waffle maker or just don't want to pull it out? Cook the grilled cheese in the typical manner - on a skillet or griddle.
- Cheese, Monterey Jack - 6 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded; sub white cheddar)
- Bread, sourdough - 8 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Apples, any tart variety - 1, sliced
- Cucumbers - 6 oz, thinly sliced
- Spring mix - 8 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese (if not pre-shredded) - Grate cheese. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Heat up a waffle iron.
- While waffle iron is heating up, prepare sandwiches by lining up bread on a cutting board. Butter bread on one side. Place cheese between two slices of bread, leaving buttered-side out.
- Transfer one sandwich to heated waffle iron, pressing down firmly to leave waffle-shaped imprints in the bread. Toast sandwich until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Continue with all remaining sandwiches.
- While sandwiches toast, toss together apples, cucumbers, and greens. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Enjoy sandwiches with salad on the side.
Kids enjoyed0 Helpful
This was fine. Definitely one of the ones where the benefit is that I didn't have to spend time thinking about what we were having for dinner and just followed the plan rather than one where we had this amazing dining experience.0 Helpful
Such a great, simple meal! I love when a very easy, fast meal comes up on the menu. Flavors were great together as well (tart salad with savory cheesy sandwich!).0 Helpful
Thank you for a new twist on a simple meal. No fighting with the kiddoes on this one. This is my new go-to way of making grilled cheese.0 Helpful
Yes, it was yummy, but I signed up for this because grilled cheese is the only thing I already know how to cook...0 Helpful
The flavor of the sweet potato fritters was good, but like the other comments, they did not hold together at all in the waffle iron. I added some flour and an extra egg. I shredded the potato, and a small onion (for extra flavor) in the food processor, like I do when making latkes. I ended up scrapping the waffle maker and fried them like latkes. Oh, I used jerk seasoning because that's what I had, and they were very delicious! Just not waffle maker material.0 Helpful