Curried Red Lentil Soup
with curry roasted cauliflower
This is the third time we're featuring this creamy, aromatic soup (last time was in 2019). It always gets great reviews from community members for being flavorful and easy to prepare.
Smarts #1: Feel free to blend the soup until smooth or skip the blending step and leave it with some texture.
Smarts #2: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Onions, medium and red - 1, diced
- Carrots - 4 oz, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can (we liked fire roasted tomatoes in this, but regular will work)
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1 1/4 cups (sub yellow lentils)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 1/2 tsp
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder (portion for the soup), cumin, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 minute more.
- To soup add crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, stock, and lentils. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, toss cauliflower with oil, curry powder (portion for the cauliflower), and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan and transfer to oven. Roast cauliflower, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until cauliflower is tender and golden brown in spots, ~30 minutes total.
- When soup is finished, stir in lemon juice. (Optional: If you would like a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.)
- Season soup to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with yogurt and cilantro on top. Enjoy cauliflower on the side.
I've made this recipe two or three times. I love it so much. It's easy & inexpensive. I make it with various roasted veggies on the side and sometimes add more spice.0 Helpful
Absolutely delicious! Ran out of red lentils, so I added 1/4 C of black lentils to fill it out. Used the whole can of coconut milk (4 serving recipe). Will definitely make the soup again, can’t wait for lunch leftovers tomorrow!0 Helpful
This was delicious. Would definitely make again.0 Helpful
This was another one of those recipes that I wasn't sure we were going to like, but everyone ate it and enjoyed it.0 Helpful
This soup was one of my favorites. I blended the soup and dipped bread in. So good!0 Helpful
The soup was great, even though I ran out of cumin and had to replace it with coriander.0 Helpful