Italian Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
and lemon mustard sauce / quinoa
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup (sub water)
- Foil - for roasting
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup (sub pumpkin seeds / pepitas or any chopped nuts)
- Zucchini - 1 lb , cubed
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry - 1 1/2 cups , halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
Lemon Mustard Sauce:
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (use large grain if you have it)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Quinoa - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while quinoa cooks; double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine quinoa with stock (portion for quinoa) in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together sour cream, mustard, and lemon juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize chicken and season with Italian seasoning (portion for chicken) and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Spread zucchini and tomatoes out on a sheet pan. Toss with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Italian seasoning (portion for vegetables), and some salt and pepper. Transfer vegetables to the oven and roast until tender, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~25 minutes total.
- Once vegetables are roasting, heat an oven-safe skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown but not cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes total. Add stock (portion for chicken) and cover skillet with foil. Transfer skillet to oven and continue roasting chicken for 8 to 12 minutes more (depending on thickness; chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C).
- When chicken is done, transfer to a cutting board, cover, and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Slice chicken and serve over quinoa with vegetables on the side. Enjoy sauce and sunflower seeds over everything.