[Leftover] Lamb Shakshuka
with cucumbers / baba ganoush
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Mint - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lamb, ground - 1 lb (sub any ground meat)
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Carrots - 5 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 3, seeds removed and diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Middle-Eastern Spiced Lamb (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Eggs - 8
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, sliced into spears for dipping
- Baba ganoush, store-bought - 8 oz
- Make spice mix - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Bell peppers / Onions / Jalapenos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Mint (skip mint if lamb was made ahead for Tuesday) - Prep as directed.
- (Skip this step if lamb was already cooked ahead for Tuesday.) Heat a large skillet or saute pan, that you have a lid for, with oil over medium heat. Add lamb and cook, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through. Add spice mix and continue cooking until lamb is browned and fully cooked, 8 to 10 minutes total. In the last two minutes of cooking, stir in aminos and mint. Drain any excess grease off lamb and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium heat (or, if you just cooked the lamb, return that pan to heat). Add oil and then carrots, bell peppers, onions, and jalapenos with some salt. Saute until tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- To aromatics add za’atar, lamb, and diced tomatoes (including liquid). Simmer for ~4 minutes to let flavors come together.
- Crack eggs into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve shakshuka with cucumbers on the side and baba ganoush for dipping. Enjoy!
Used pita chips. Good but not great. Favorite part was the salsa, will make for future dishes. Lots of leftover yogurt! Also not sure worth the cost of lamb, might try a different protein next time.0 Helpful
Good but not great. I didn't really like the za'atar yogurt and I didn't feel like the whole meal was worth the cost of the lamb.0 Helpful
Pita chips worked well. Carrots were a nice surprise0 Helpful
Subbed 50% turkey and 50% veal. Nice switch-up over typical nacho bar food.0 Helpful
Great twist on nachos! The yogurt dressing was delicious.0 Helpful
We ended up cheating and making Mexican nachos, but everyone loved it as a meal.0 Helpful