[Leftover] Lamb Nachos
with tomatoes / cucumbers / za’atar yogurt
Smarts: Nachos are super easy to customize - add other vegetables, bottled salsa, or a mix of cheeses to make this one your own.
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Mint - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lamb, ground - 1 lb (sub any ground meat)
- Tamari - 2 tsp
- Carrots - 5 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Cheese, white cheddar - 4 oz, shredded
- Olives, green - 1/2 cup, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tortilla chips, gluten-free - 10 oz
- Middle-Eastern Spiced Lamb (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, diced
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Za'atar - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Make spice mix - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt - Combine yogurt, za’atar, and lemon juice. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like it spicy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Carrots (if not pre-shredded) / Cheese / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Mint (skip mint if lamb was made ahead for Tuesday) - Prep as directed.
- Make salsa - Combine shallots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and olive oil. Season with some salt.
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C degrees.
- (Skip this step if lamb was already cooked ahead for Tuesday.) Heat a large skillet or wok with cooking oil over medium heat. Add lamb and cook, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through. Add spice mix and continue cooking until lamb is browned and fully cooked, 8 to 10 minutes total. In the last two minutes of cooking, stir in Tamari and mint. Drain any excess grease off lamb and set aside.
- Spread chips out into one layer on a sheet pan. Top with carrots, cheese, and then cooked lamb. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Finish nachos with olives and salsa. Serve yogurt on top or on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
Used pita chips. Good but not great. Favorite part was the salsa, will make for future dishes. Lots of leftover yogurt! Also not sure worth the cost of lamb, might try a different protein next time.0 Helpful
Good but not great. I didn't really like the za'atar yogurt and I didn't feel like the whole meal was worth the cost of the lamb.0 Helpful
Pita chips worked well. Carrots were a nice surprise0 Helpful
Subbed 50% turkey and 50% veal. Nice switch-up over typical nacho bar food.0 Helpful
Great twist on nachos! The yogurt dressing was delicious.0 Helpful
We ended up cheating and making Mexican nachos, but everyone loved it as a meal.0 Helpful