Middle-Eastern Lamb Lettuce Wraps
with date and orange salad
- Romaine lettuce - 12 leaves
- Middle-Eastern Spiced Lamb (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Harissa aioli (ingredients listed separtely) - 1/3 cup
- Mayonnaise, paleo-friendly - 1/4 cup
- Harissa - 2 tsp to 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Mint - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lamb, ground - 1 lb (sub any ground meat)
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Oranges - 1, segments
- Dates - 8, sliced
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1/4 cup
- Make spice mix - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine smoked paprika (portion for lamb), cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, and smoked paprika (portion for salad). Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make aioli - Combine mayonnaise, harissa, and lemon juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Romaine lettuce / Oranges / Dates / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with cooking oil over medium heat. (Note: Be sure to cook lamb for Thursday at the same time if making that night’s meal.) Add lamb and cook, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through. Add spice mix and continue cooking until lamb is browned and fully cooked, 8 to 10 minutes total.
- Drain excess oil off lamb.
- Return lamb to heat and stir in aminos and mint. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Toss greens (portion for salad), oranges, and dates with vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Top with almonds.
- Fill lettuce wraps with lamb (reserve half if doubled) and aioli. Enjoy with salad on the side.
Did the lentil version with double spices and OMG it is super good. Just with lettuce, tortilla and sour cream, and we added some sriracha to our liking. Loved this take on lentils.1 Helpful
Instead of making this as a lettuce wrap as the paleo recipe calls for, I did this as a middle-eastern taco salad instead and it was awesome! My harissa wasn’t too spicy and I ended up eating the leftover crema with a spoon...0 Helpful
Could not find harissa anywhere. Subbed gochujang. Needed some veggies.0 Helpful
Will add more veggies next time (cucumber, tomato) but really easy, tasty and even the kids ate it.0 Helpful
We liked it a lot and it was easy to make. You just need to watch the Harissa. I used the minimum recommended 2 teaspoons and I didn't think it was all that hot, but my wife and son thought it was plenty hot.0 Helpful
Served lentils on salad instead of in a wrap. Delicious salad!!0 Helpful
Nice wrap, easy, tasty0 Helpful