Chicken, Bell Pepper, and Mushroom Saute with Marinara
and green salad
Chicken, Bell Pepper, and Mushroom Saute:
- Bell peppers, green - 2 , sliced
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , sliced into strips
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Basic Tomato Sauce:
- Tomato puree (10 oz / 305 g) - 1 can (sub crushed tomatoes)
- Oregano, dried - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Green Side Salad:
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1/2 cup , halved
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Make sauce - Combine tomato puree, oregano (portion for sauce), garlic powder, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, oregano (portion for salad), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking.
- Bell peppers / Mushrooms / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and mushrooms. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes.
- Heat a wok or large skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are starting to turn tender, 4 to 5 minutes. (If the pan looks dry before the vegetables are done cooking, add some water to the pan.) Season with a pinch of salt.
- Move vegetables to one side of the pan and add chicken and garlic to the other side. Let chicken cook, without stirring, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add sauce to chicken and vegetables and cook until sauce is simmering. Cook everything together, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced slightly, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Toss tomatoes and greens in vinaigrette. Season with some black pepper.
- Serve chicken saute with salad on the side. Enjoy!