with green salad
Smarts: Occasionally reviewers say they have trouble getting the stromboli to cook all the way through, so be sure to apply a very thin layer of sauce (any extra is great for dipping) and don't skip the step to add slits on the top so that moisture can escape during cooking.
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - for dusting
- Bell peppers, green - 1, sliced
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Parchment paper - for lining pan
- Basic Tomato Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 1 cup
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella - 8 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Tomato puree (10 oz / 305 g) - 1 can (sub crushed tomatoes)
- Oregano, dried - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1/2 cup, halved
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pizza dough - Take dough out 30 minutes before baking and cover in some flour. Resting dough will make it easier to work with.
- Make sauce - Combine tomato puree, oregano (portion for sauce), garlic powder, sugar, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, oregano (portion for salad), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking.
- Bell peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook vegetables - Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dust a counter with flour. Roll out pizza dough into a rectangular shape. Spread sauce in a thin layer on the dough (adding too much sauce will prevent the center of the stromboli from cooking all the way through; you can save any extra for dipping the finished stromboli), leaving about a 1” / 2.5 cm edge on all sides. Top with mozzarella cheese and then mushrooms and bell peppers. (Check out this video for tips.)
- Brush edges of dough with some of the whisked eggs. Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the dough into a log. Transfer stromboli to the sheet pan and cut slits in the top about 2” / 5 cm apart (make these slits fairly deep; they will allow moisture to escape and heat to get in so that the stromboli cooks all the way through). Brush top with remaining whisked eggs and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 28 to 32 minutes, until deep brown and cooked through. (Note: if your dough is thick, the stromboli may need a few extra minutes to bake all the way through.)
- When stromboli is done cooking, allow to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Toss tomatoes and greens in vinaigrette. Season with some black pepper.
- Serve stromboli with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Anytime I can make pizza and call it something fancier, I'm in! We cheated and used pre-made pizza sauce - the beauty was that everyone could put whatever toppings they wanted in their own stromboli.0 Helpful
I turned this into a skillet pasta and added sausage. Delicious!0 Helpful
It was good but didn't cook all the way through0 Helpful
It came together easily, but was very gummy inside. I only used a thin layer of sauce and cooked it an extra 15 minutes. Flavors were great, but I'm not going to make this again.0 Helpful
I'm laughing at my trying to transfer a massive 8 serving stromboli onto a sheet pan...should have made two smaller ones instead of one big one! I cut it in half then transferred and worked out okay. Definitely need to leave more room on the edges and do a thinner layer of the sauce next time. It leaked out while I rolled it and made it messy and wet on the outside before transferring to the pan. I don't recommend using wheat dough, didn't like that. Ranch is nice as a dip also.0 Helpful
First time making stromboli and it was great! I used a pre-rolled out crust which saved lots of time, and added pepperoni instead of olives. Delicious!0 Helpful