Szechuan Pork Stir-Fry
with green beans and carrots / quinoa
We're bringing back this classic (and fast!) Cook Smarts meal that was created with spice-lovers in mind (but is great without the spice too!). It was last featured in 2019.
Szechuan Stir-Fry Sauce:
- Ginger - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Stock, any low-sodium variety - 1/2 cup (sub water)
- Tamari - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 Tbsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp , more to taste (sub any hot sauce)
Szechuan Pork Stir-Fry:
- Green beans - 1 lb , sliced into 1” / 2.5 cm
- Carrots - 12 oz , thinly sliced
- Cilantro (opt) - 2 tsp , leaves chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any low-sodium variety - 3 Tbsp (sub water)
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead for Monday.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic / Green beans / Carrots - Prep as directed. Combine ginger and garlic in one container. Combine green beans and carrots in a second container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, stock (portion for sauce), Tamari, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro (if using).
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then green beans and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until vegetables are bright and starting to brown in spots, 3 to 4 minutes. Add stock (portion for stir-fry) and cover pan with a lid or foil. Simmer vegetables until nearly tender, ~2 minutes. Remove cover and continue to saute until liquid is cooked off. Season with some salt or add some chili garlic sauce (not in ingredients list for stir-fry) if you’d like it to have a bit of spice.
- Set vegetables aside and return wok to medium-high heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then pork. Saute, breaking pork apart, until cooked through, ~5 minutes. Drain any excess grease off the pork.
- Add sauce to pork and simmer until sauce thickens slightly and coats pork, ~1 minute more. Add vegetables back in and stir to combine with sauce.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve pork and vegetables over quinoa. Top with cilantro and lime juice. Enjoy!