Steak Cobb Salad
with blue cheese / avocados / sherry vinaigrette
This hearty twist on the classic Cobb salad comes together super fast - just be sure to get the steak marinating ahead of cooking time.
Smarts: Slicing the steak into cubes creates extra surface area for absorbing marinade and browning in the pan.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub red or white wine vinegar)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Steak, flank, skirt, or hanger - 1 1/4 lbs, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Cheese, blue or gorgonzola - 4 oz (sub cubed cheddar or any other preferred cheese)
- Baby spinach - 8 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Garlic (for salad and vinaigrette) - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Slice steak into cubes. Combine with garlic (portion for salad), first portion of cooking oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together garlic (portion for vinaigrette), sherry vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocados / Cheese - Prep as directed.
- Eggs - Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell and then peel. Slice into quarters.
- Heat a skillet or wok with second portion of cooking oil over medium heat.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and add steak to heated oil. Sear steak on one side until well browned. Flip and continue cooking until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes total. As steak cooks, season it generously with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of spinach and topping it with eggs, tomatoes, avocados, cheese, and warm steak. Finish with vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Delicious! Used a sous vide for the steak and then just finished with the marinade in a pan. Worked well. everyone liked it. Great dressing.0 Helpful
Another hit, no leftovers at all. My 8 year old has seconds! Toddler approved as well! Subbed mixed greens and romaine instead of spinach and swapped feta for cheeses suggested.0 Helpful
A solid meal. Dressing was very nice.0 Helpful
Delicious! Even as leftovers. Dressing was super yummy.0 Helpful
Omitted the eggs and enjoyed the salad! The tempeh was especially tasty and we enjoyed the dressing (subbing red wine vinegar for the sherry).0 Helpful
loved the dressing!! Also thank you for how to cook the eggs. I had some morning star bacon that I used instead of tempeh. I added sliced mushrooms, onions, and diced peppers I forgot the cheese. But everyone loved it!! we made it for two nights.1 Helpful