Za'atar Roasted Salmon
with quinoa / arugula and fig salad
Za’atar Roasted Salmon:
- Lemons - 1 , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Salmon fillets - 1 lb
Arugula and Fig Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Cheese, provolone - 2 oz , cubed (sub fontina or white cheddar)
- Figs - 8 , quartered (sub plums, 2 per 8 figs)
- Arugula - 8 oz
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Quinoa - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal. If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Lemons - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Salmon - In a baking dish (use a dish that is large enough to hold all of the salmon in a single layer), whisk together cooking oil, red or white wine vinegar, and Za'atar. Add salmon and turn to coat. Leave salmon with flesh side in marinade. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Figs - Quarter figs.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Turn salmon in baking dish so the flesh side is facing up. Season with some salt and pepper and top with lemon slices. Transfer baking dish to oven and roast until salmon flakes easily with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Just before serving, toss together arugula, cheese, pistachios, and figs. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve salmon over quinoa with salad on the side. Enjoy!