Za'atar Roasted Salmon
with quinoa / arugula and fig salad
We're always looking for new ways to use Za'atar spice blend, and it really shines on salmon. This fresh recipe has a short list of ingredients, but they all work together to create a colorful, flavorful meal.
- Lemons - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Salmon fillets - 1 lb
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Cheese, provolone - 2 oz, cubed (sub fontina or white cheddar)
- Figs - 8, quartered (sub plums, 2 per 8 figs)
- Arugula - 8 oz
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Quinoa - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal. If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Lemons - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Salmon - In a baking dish (use a dish that is large enough to hold all of the salmon in a single layer), whisk together cooking oil, red or white wine vinegar, and Za'atar. Add salmon and turn to coat. Leave salmon with flesh side in marinade. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Figs - Quarter figs.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Turn salmon in baking dish so the flesh side is facing up. Season with some salt and pepper and top with lemon slices. Transfer baking dish to oven and roast until salmon flakes easily with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Just before serving, toss together arugula, cheese, pistachios, and figs. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve salmon over quinoa with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Made is in the recipe including delicious figs and a little extra Za'atar. Was a tasty lunch for days. Not much more to add.0 Helpful
Good seasoning for salmon! Liked it with quinoa, too. Did green beans instead of salad for our son, which worked well.0 Helpful
This was so good! We used couscous instead of quinoa because we had it, and peach instead of fig on the salad because we had some to use up. Came together quickly and tasted delicious!0 Helpful
Salad was so good. Kids ate it but didn't love it (I used spinach and arugula, but they always prefer crunch salads). Loved the zaatar on the fish, and the cauliflower rice is always good!0 Helpful
The salad was amazing. I had two servings. Great meal. Used cauliflower rice.0 Helpful
So easy, healthy, and yummy!0 Helpful