with balsamic fruit salad
Toasted naan is our favorite stand-in for pizza dough in weeknight-friendly pizzas. This version is topped with breakfast favorites - scrambled eggs, melted cheese, and crumbled bacon.
Smarts #1: Feel free to use any other flatbread or pita as the pizza base (or use pizza dough if you prefer).
Smarts #2: For something different, balsamic vinegar, honey, and lemon juice add sweet and sour flavors to tonight's fruit salad. If you prefer to skip the extra flavors, serve your fruit salad without the dressing.
- Cheese, Colby Jack - 3 oz, grated (sub cheddar)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Spinach - 5 oz, chopped
- Bacon - 4 strips, chopped
- Eggs - 6
- Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Naan - 4 rounds (sub any flatbread or pita)
- Berries - 8 oz (use strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or a mix)
- Peaches - 2, chopped
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 4 leaves, chopped (sub fresh basil)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese / Garlic / Spinach / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk.
- Make fruit salad - Prepare berries if any need to be sliced / chopped. Chop peaches. Chop mint. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, and honey. Fold in berries, peaches, and mint.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler and place a rack about 6” / 15 cm below the heat source.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and saute until bacon is crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While bacon is cooking, spread naan out in a single layer on a sheet pan. Toast naan under the broiler until golden brown, flipping to toast both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- When bacon is crisp, transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate and drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease from the skillet and return it to heat.
- To skillet add garlic and spinach and saute until spinach is wilted (you can cover the pan with a lid to help speed this along), 2 to 3 minutes.
- Move spinach to one side of the skillet and pour eggs into the other side. Gently scramble eggs, folding in spinach as the eggs begin to cook, until eggs are cooked to your liking, 5 to 6 minutes. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Move eggs off heat.
- Divide cooked eggs and spinach out over the top of toasted naan. Top with cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted.
- To serve, slice naan into wedges (like a pizza).
- Serve breakfast pizza with crispy bacon on top and fruit salad on the side. (Note: Serve fruit salad in small bowls or use a slotted spoon to serve it so that the fruit juice doesn’t make your pizza soggy.) Enjoy!
I used a pre-made cauliflower crust instead of naan, and the basil substitute for mint in the fruit salad was a delicious suggestion.0 Helpful
So simple but would have never thought of this on our own! Top recipe from cooks smarts! Really easy and great flavors!0 Helpful
Really easy & simple! Fruit salad was a nice complement.0 Helpful
This was delicious! Cooking the eggs and spinach in a little leftover bacon grease added wonderful flavor. We made the original recipe dairy free by using DF cheddar cheese, and it was still great!0 Helpful
Made with deli turkey and goat cheese instead of bacon and cheddar. On garlic naan. Loved the fruit salad!0 Helpful
We have spinach egg for breakfast all the time, and of course it is delicious on pizza too!!0 Helpful