with Romaine and avocado salad
While we love to mix up the flavors in our tacos, there's something undeniably great about a classic taco made with ground beef, crispy taco shells, and our go-to toppings. This recipe was last featured in 2017.
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, Colby Jack - 3 oz, grated (sub cheddar)
- Lettuce, romaine - 1/2 heart, finely chopped
- Onions, red and medium - 1/4 diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Taco seasoning (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp
- Taco shells - 8 (use soft tortillas if you prefer)
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup (sub sour cream)
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/8 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 1/2 hearts, chopped
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Make spice mix - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Combine chili powder, ground coriander, cumin (portion for spice mix), paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, and cumin (portion for salad). Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Lettuce (for tacos and salad) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C.
- Heat a large skillet with oil (portion for tacos) over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes. Add spice mix and stir until fragrant, ~1 minute more. Stir in first portion of salsa and continue cooking until beef is fully cooked and any extra liquid cooks off.
- Place taco shells on a sheet pan and bake in oven until warm and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Toss together lettuce (portion for salad), avocados, and vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Set out taco toppings to assemble at the table - taco shells, cheese, lettuce (portion for tacos), onions, tomatoes, beef, second portion of salsa, and yogurt.
- Serve tacos with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Everyone likes tacos. Though, To be honest, this was a reminder that part of why we use CS is so we don’t have to think about what to cook - don’t feel there was anything new, different, or exciting about this one. We liked it, but tacos are frequently in our non-CS nights rotation. lol0 Helpful
Easy, crowd pleaser0 Helpful
Loved the seasoning. haven't had "classic" American tacos in so long - forgot how good they can be! Next time I'd make this into a taco salad with chips.0 Helpful
Instead of doing taco lettuce wraps with salad on the side, I made the salad and then piled the meat and toppings on top of it for a taco salad. It was delicious. The dressing gave just a subtle flavor to the lettuce and the meat, avocado and toppings on top brought it all together.0 Helpful
Quick and easy! Used impossible meat and a bag of steamed veggies instead of a salad. Added a 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes for some spice but could have easily done a 1/2 tsp without it being too much.1 Helpful
Nice and easy :) we topped it with whatever we had and saved the salad for lunch.0 Helpful