Zucchini Noodle 'Ramen' with Chicken
with bok choy / cauliflower
This simple zucchini noodle "ramen" is packed with green vegetables and cauliflower florets for texture.
Smarts: The aminos provide the majority of flavor in the base of this simple soup. Because fish sauce, butter, and stock can all vary in the amount of salt and flavor they add, be sure to taste the soup and adjust at the end of cooking. You may need up to several tablespoons of additional fish sauce, depending on your taste preferences.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Cauliflower, fresh or frozen - 10 oz, chopped
- Baby bok choy - 3/4 lb, chopped (sub regular bok choy or zucchini)
- Zucchini - 12 oz, spiralized, sliced into ribbons, or cubed
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb, cubed
- Lime zest - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp, plus more for serving
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Garlic / Cauliflower / Bok choy - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Note: If using pre-chopped cauliflower florets, you may need to chop them down smaller into bite-sized pieces.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just cube the zucchini.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Zest limes and then slice into wedges, keeping the zest and wedges separate. Chop cilantro.
- Heat a Dutch oven with butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, add chicken and saute until lightly seared on the outside, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, fish sauce, hot sauce, and lime zest and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Pour stock into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add cauliflower. Simmer until cauliflower is tender, ~7 minutes.
- Add zucchini noodles and bok choy and simmer until zucchini is tender (about 1 minute for zucchini noodles and 3 to 4 minutes for zucchini cubes).
- Remove soup from heat and stir in juice from half the lime wedges. Taste and add more fish sauce or some aminos (not in ingredients list) until the soup is salty / seasoned to your liking.
- Divide soup between serving bowls and top with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and more hot sauce (if using). Enjoy!
This was super delicious! I used lotus foods rice ramen noodles for the gf version, and celery instead of cauliflower. I also added shrimp for my meat eating family. Adding a couple pieces of pickled ginger to my bowl is what tipped the flavor to our of this world! I added it to my favorites, and will definitely be making this again.1 Helpful
I couldn't find miso locally (I live in a small town) so I used soy sauce instead and it just wasn't as good as I knew it might have been.0 Helpful
Very good, simple, and quick. Used frozen cauliflower. Used frozen spinach instead of bok choy because that's all I had and it worked fine.0 Helpful
swapped mushrooms for edamame because its what i had. tasted great!0 Helpful
Excellent meal for a cold, rainy day. We just ended up needing a lot more liquid after adding the noodles. It was almost more of a noodle dish in the end.0 Helpful
Used cabbage rather than bok choi. Used buckwheat udon. Very good.0 Helpful
Good! Added some zuchini and some beans from the garden. Made it as written for seasoning. Next time I’ll make it with a boiled egg0 Helpful