Indian Chickpea Burger
with cucumber raita / grilled okra
Seasoned with Indian spices, these unique chickpea burgers get texture and flavor from a topping of creamy cucumber raita and sweet mango chutney.
Indian Chickpea Burger:
- Onions, red and medium - 1/2 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/4 cup
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 leaves
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Mango chutney (opt) - for serving
- Cucumbers - 4 oz , finely sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp , finely chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 1/2 cups
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Okra - 1 lb , stems removed, halved lengthwise (sub green beans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry powder, mild - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Garlic - Dice onions and garlic and combine. Heat a small skillet with first portion of oil (for burgers). Add onions and garlic with some salt and saute until onions are soft, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make burgers - Drain and rinse beans. Combine beans with onion / garlic mixture, flour, garam masala, curry powder (portion for burgers), and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is evenly combined and only small pieces of beans remain. Form into 1" / 2.5 cm thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make raita - Combine cucumbers, cilantro, yogurt, ground coriander, and cumin. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Okra - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil (portion for okra), curry powder (portion for okra), red pepper flakes, and some salt.
- Spread okra out onto a sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with second portion of oil (portion for burgers) and then sear chickpea patties on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Give raita a stir (if it was made ahead, some liquid may have settled on the top), and season with some salt.
- Assemble burgers by spreading hamburger buns with mango chutney and filling burgers with lettuce, chickpea patties, and cucumber raita. Serve okra with any extra raita for dipping. Enjoy!