Greek Salad with Sardines
and orzo / chickpeas / tomatoes / olives / artichoke hearts
Smarts #1: Sardines are small canned fish that give the salad a briny, salty flavor. Canned tuna works really well here, too.
Smarts #2: If you're making the soup later this week, make a double batch of orzo tonight and reserve half for the soup.
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 1/2 Tbsp
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Greek Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp + 5 Tbsp
- Sardines (4 oz / 115 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (sub canned tuna)
- Artichoke hearts (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed; chopped if needed
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata - 1/2 cup, drained and rinsed (sub any type olive)
- Mixed greens - 8 oz (sub any type lettuce)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup
- Pasta, uncooked orzo - 1/2 cup
- Cook orzo - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Cook orzo according to package directions. If making ahead, toss with some oil after cooking to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, and oregano. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate beans - Drain and rinse beans. Combine beans with first portion of Greek Vinaigrette. Let beans marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 5 days. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sardines / Artichoke hearts / Tomatoes / Olives - Prep as directed.
- If orzo was made ahead, you can serve it chilled or warm it slightly in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Set out all salad ingredients if you want to assemble salads at the table. Alternatively, toss greens, orzo, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and olives with second portion of vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Top salads with sardines, marinated beans, and sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
Great summer salad. Skipped the sardines. I marinated everything but the greens in the dressing and just tossed the lettuce in at the end.1 Helpful
Quite good with modifications: marinated artichokes with beans and all of doubled dressing recipe. Added lots of extra lemon juice, salt, oregano, and Aleppo pepper to dressing. Was good with soft boiled egg or cheese added.0 Helpful
Good, but I wish the dressing had more flavor or zing. Maybe garlic?0 Helpful
Made the original recipe the first night with tuna and was very meh on it. Second night I switched to vegetarian and much preferred it with the feta.0 Helpful
Not a fan of these flavors general, I liked this more then I thought I would but probably won't make again.0 Helpful
I used hard boiled eggs instead of sardines and this was huge hit. Even my kids ate almost everything on their plates.0 Helpful
We enjoyed the sardines, glad to have someone give us the push to add them to our rotation!0 Helpful