Kofta Lentil Burger with Chermoula Mayo
and carrot salad
Kofta is a mixture of ground meat that is seasoned with dried spices and rolled into meatballs or wrapped around skewers. We took this concept and a flavorful spice blend and translated it to lentil burgers that get crunch from fresh cucumbers and the cooling / creamy finish of an herby mayonnaise.
Smarts#1: Be sure to use Instant Oats for forming the lentil patties. They will work as a sturdy binder in a way that rolled or quick-cook oats may not. You can also make your own Instant Oats by taking either rolled or quick-cook oats and pulsing them in a food processor until ground into very small flakes.
Smarts #2: You'll just need a bit of the herb sauce known as chermoula for tonight's meal. Set the rest aside to use later in the week.
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Instant oats - 1/4 cup (be sure to get instant oats, not rolled or quick cook oats)
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 3/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom, ground (opt) - 1/8 tsp
- Chermoula (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Cucumbers - 6 oz, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Parsley leaves - 3/4 cup
- Cilantro leaves - 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/8 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Carrots - 12 oz, shredded
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Harissa (opt) - 1 tsp ( sub any hot sauce)
- Pine nuts - 1 Tbsp
- Make chermoula - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Combine parsley leaves, cilantro leaves, lemon juice (portion for chermoula), vinegar, garlic, cumin (portion for chermoula), salt (portion for chermoula), and cinnamon (portion for chermoula) in the bowl of a food processor. (You can also do this with an immersion blender if you prefer.) Pulse / blend until herb leaves are finely chopped. Add olive oil (portion for chermoula) while blending. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Shred carrots - If you used the food processor to make chermoula, wipe it out and use the shredder attachment to shred carrots. (You can also use a box grater for this.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make burger patties - In a mixing bowl, combine lentils, instant oats, flour, cumin (portion for burgers), salt (portion for burgers), cinnamon (portion for burgers), garlic powder, black pepper, and cardamom. Use a fork to gently mash the lentils and combine all of the ingredients until they stick together and can easily be formed into patties. If the mixture is too wet to stick together, add more flour a bit at a time. If it is too dry, add some water. Once the mixture holds together when you press it between your palms, form it into patties (1 / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make chermoula mayo - Whisk together chermoula (be sure to use only the portion for tonight’s meal; reserve the remainder for Wednesday’s meal) and mayonnaise.
- Make carrot salad - Whisk together lemon juice (portion for salad), olive oil (portion for salad), mustard, honey, and harissa. Add carrots and toss to coat. Season with some salt and pepper. Top with pine nuts.
- Cucumbers - Thinly slice cucumbers.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet with cooking oil over high heat. Add lentil patties and cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes total.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble burgers by spreading buns with chermoula mayo and filling them with lentil patties and cucumbers. Enjoy with carrot salad on the side.
Great flavors. I don't think the carrots needed to be shredded. That seemed to make a lot of extra work for no payoff.1 Helpful
I made the paleo version and thought it was great! I skipped the carrots and instead had green beans but if I made it again I might have sweet potatoes with it instead because I felt like I needed more carbs. We all loved the chermoula Mayo.0 Helpful
LOVED this! Even my 5 year old ate 1.5 burgers which she wouldn't do usually. Next time I will make more burgers for left overs!0 Helpful
Lots of steps, but this was really good0 Helpful
Loved the flavor of burgers, carrots and mayo.0 Helpful
Made this with ground bison and precut matchstick carrots - loved it!0 Helpful
This took a bit longer than expected to prepare, but I really liked the flavors. I don’t usually love pulling out the food processor for a weeknight meal, but it actually worked great to use it for both the sauce and carrots here.0 Helpful