Tofu, Shiitake, and Bok Choy Stir-fry
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz, chopped
- Bok choy - 1 lb, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then chop into 1” / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Shiitakes / Bok choy / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomato paste, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch (portion for the sauce). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Toss tofu with cornstarch (portion for stir-fry) and some salt. Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat and add first part of cooking oil. Add tofu to heated oil and saute until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan back to medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then shiitakes to the pan. Saute mushrooms for ~2 minutes. Add bok choy and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Push everything to the side, forming a donut in the middle. Pour in sauce; once it bubbles, add tofu and toss everything to combine.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with lime wedges and cilantro on top. Finish with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
fast easy and healthy!!! love it! I have dried shiitake mushrooms, worked great.1 Helpful
Good and easy0 Helpful
Delicious! I cooked it exactly as the recipe said - it was perfect.0 Helpful
Used bone in chicken thighs with the instant pot and it was a real winner!0 Helpful
So good! Easy to pull together and let slow cook all day. I subbed a stir-fry veggie mix for the bok choy, which was tasty!0 Helpful
This was a surprise favorite. I guess we had missed some of the chicken adobo meals in the past and now feel cheated. Wonderfully flavored chicken that goes well with a variety of sautéed vegetables. The chicken comes together quickly in the Instant Pot if, like me, you decide last minute to throw this together.0 Helpful
It’s an absolute winner any time my 3.5 yr old eats the entire meal and asks for more! This meal came together quickly and easily and I’ll definitely be making it again. Only change: halve the sugar added to the chicken based on personal preference.0 Helpful