with anaheims and portabellos
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Red onion - 1 , diced
- Red pepper - 1 , chopped
- Peppers, Anaheim - 2, chopped ((substitute green peppers))
- Zucchini - 3, chopped
- Portabello mushrooms - 2, chopped
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Diced tomatoes with green chilies - 1 can, drained
- Kidney beans (14oz / 397g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 2 1/2 cups
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Coriander - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Avocado - 1, cubed
- Sour cream - for serving
- Mexican blend cheese - 2 oz, grated ((like jack, colby, cheddar))
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add in onions with a dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, broth, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Cook uncovered for another 3 to 5 minutes, until all ingredients are cooked through.
- Chop avocado while chili is cooking. Season chili to taste. This is a big pot of soup, so you might need quite some salt and pepper. Top with cilantro, avocado, sour cream, and cheese. Remember to save some chili for tomorrow night's enchilada filling.
Very tasty! My wife really liked all the vegetables in this, but we still browned a pound of ground beef with the onions. To cut down on the soupiness, we added 2 tablespoons corn meal as it was cooking.0 Helpful
Really flavorful, I did double most of the spices. Avocado is a must! It adds a nice creaminess.0 Helpful
Real good! It's a little more soupy than I expected but it was still delicious! Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
I'm not sure why this is called "chili." True, it has chili powder in it, but calling the dish "chili" is like calling tomato basil soup "marinara." That said, it's a pretty tasty bean soup. And with all the recipes here, I have double the predicted cooking time. Chopping a whole onion, peppers, zucchini, avocado, mushrooms, and cilantro and rinsing and draining three canned foods takes a while (for me at least).0 Helpful
This ended up more like a soup rather than a chilli. Nobody was really excited about it but it could have been that our expectations of what chilli is, is very different.0 Helpful
This was good, but nothing I would rave over or tell others they must make. But we're a meat-and-potatoes family, so I'm not surprised it left us feeling like something was missing. But we're determined to expand our horizons and try all the different meals Jess has to offer!0 Helpful